Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    undefinedundefined
    I found this question in a paper3b specimen paper for As Chemistry from Edexcel.

Compound C contains an ion and cation. Certain tests were carried out on the compound:

Tests:

a) Flame Test

Result: light green coloured flame

b) Heat on C

Result: Brown Gas Evolved
    Relights glowing splint

c) Dissolve C in Water

Result colourless solution

d) Add dilute Sulphuric Acid to a solution of C

Result: White ppt.

e) Add excess NaOH to the solution of C

Result: Faint white ppt. insoluble in excess

The question requires me to fill in the inferences. I know that a) indicates the presence of barium ions. b) suggests bromide ions are present and oxygen was evolved. d) confirms the presence of Barium ions, however I have no idea what to infer from c) and e). I am aware that the compund is Barium Bromate.

Thanks in advance for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mubinchoudhury)
    I found this question in a paper3b specimen paper for As Chemistry from Edexcel.

Compound C contains an ion and cation. Certain tests were carried out on the compound:

Tests:

a) Flame Test

Result: light green coloured flame

b) Heat on C

Result: Brown Gas Evolved
    Relights glowing splint
    Brown gas: could be NO2. Relights glowing splint: definately oxygen. The nitrates of group 2 produce both these gases on heating

c) Dissolve C in Water

Result colourless solution
    sorry, not sure what this would infer Yes of course I do. See below :rolleyes:

d) Add dilute Sulphuric Acid to a solution of C

Result: White ppt.

e) Add excess NaOH to the solution of C

Result: Faint white ppt. insoluble in excess
    Could be Mg Li Ba Sr or Ca

The question requires me to fill in the inferences. I know that a) indicates the presence of barium ions. b) suggests bromide ions are present and oxygen was evolved. d) confirms the presence of Barium ions, however I have no idea what to infer from c) and e). I am aware that the compund is Barium Bromate.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Cation: definately Barium
    Anion: Could be nitrate (NO3-)

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    The inference from c) is that the metal ion is not a transition metal and the salt is soluble.

ReputationRep:
    It's barium nitrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    The inference from c) is that the metal ion is not a transition metal and the salt is soluble.
    Of course! *bangs forehead on desk repeatedly* I should know that. Uncoloured solution: not a d block ion.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.