37.5%
No (5)
62.5%
CALI1198
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have been selected to complete an EPQ within my school and hope to progress to university to study Computer Science however I am unsure on what to write about. I've been told I have to opt to do the 5,000 word essay rather than the project+1,000 words.

I originally thought to do it about the evolution of technology (handheld devices and such) however I was told this was too broad of an idea.

I then thought to do it about internet security and how safe we really are using the internet. However, I am finding it very hard to locate credible research or previously related studies that I could include in this idea.

Before I go and change my idea again, I just wanted to see if there was any ideas from the community on what I could do it about that could help me to achieve a top grade.

As a side question, how valuable are EPQ's for a degree in Computer Science? I hope to go to a top university so am pretty much taking on whatever I can however I need to be sure whether this is worth it or not (as it is starting to interfere with my A-Level study).

Thanks in advance.
CALI1198
Rep:
?
Bump?
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ehh I'm not doing an EPQ and got an Imperial offer (albeit a horrendous one) and have a Cambridge interview for computer science. Don't do it if you don't want to, maths/further maths is more valuable. Quantum computing is pretty interesting but it's really tough to write about without quickly just turning into pages of equations. I know imperial give you EPQ offers if you're doing it, but I'm pretty sure that's just them giving you an offer for everything you do rather than it affecting your application much.
TillyP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I haven't started my EPQ yet but I keep meaning too and I'm planning on doing it on Alan Turing and his work (including Colossus and the Turing test idea etc.). I was also going to include some bits about Von Neumann and his advances on Turings computer but I'm not sure... But in general I think the computer history is really interesting
TVIO
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TillyP)
Well I haven't started my EPQ yet but I keep meaning too and I'm planning on doing it on Alan Turing and his work (including Colossus and the Turing test idea etc.). I was also going to include some bits about Von Neumann and his advances on Turings computer but I'm not sure... But in general I think the computer history is really interesting
Have you looked into Von Neumann's Monte Carlo method stuff? It's really interesting and it can give easy approximations to stuff like Pi.
TillyP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
Have you looked into Von Neumann's Monte Carlo method stuff? It's really interesting and it can give easy approximations to stuff like Pi.
Wow! Just partially read the wikipedia page on it (the mathmatics part) and it's awesome, thanks!! Von Neumann was so awesome in general . I love it, his wikipedia page basically says that he theorised/invented a bit of every subject I'm doing!!! (Physics, maths, further maths and computer science)
TVIO
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow! Just partially read the wikipedia page on it (the mathmatics part) and it's awesome, thanks!! Von Neumann was so awesome in general . I love it, his wikipedia page basically says that he theorised/invented a bit of every subject I'm doing!!! (Physics, maths, further maths and computer science)
John was awesome. Yeah I do those same subjects hehe. Almost everyone doing CompSci I've spoken to does either those or M,FM,Phys and Chem.
TillyP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
John was awesome. Yeah I do those same subjects hehe. Almost everyone doing CompSci I've spoken to does either those or M,FM,Phys and Chem.
Love it how you're casually calling him by his first name :P Yeah, the subjects compliment each other so well! There is overlap through all of them, it's sooo useful.
TVIO
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Love it how you're casually calling him by his first name :P Yeah, the subjects compliment each other so well! There is overlap through all of them, it's sooo useful.
Also, welcome to TSR. I see you're new here.
TillyP
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TVIO)
Also, welcome to TSR. I see you're new here.
Yeah, only been here about an hour. Thanks
CALI1198
Rep:
?
Right. I do like the idea of computing history. Should be able to get a bit of research on it.

My subjects are Maths, Further Maths (AS only, school don't offer A2), Physics and Economics (they don't offer computing so opted for this).

I keep thinking just maybe an epq could provide me with that boost but in most cases, I always see EPQs being helpful for English degrees and such.

I have the lesson tomorrow, considering now whether to show up or not aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed