Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god. Today has been the worst day ever. Yesterday I had a problem with something called Sysai. I was told to download Adaware and Spybot etc to fix my computer etc. I did the scans and deleted everything that came up. Hurrah I thought, computer fixed. When I turned my computer on today, it told me to Reinstall Windows. This caused me to have a heart attack, and cry, a lot. I tried again and again to start the computer without reinstalling windows, but had no luck. I therefore had to reinstall windows, losing all my files on my computer. Poo poo poo poo poo.

So now, windows is reinstalled, I have a clean, empty, depressingly dull computer. The problem I have now is trying to find my D:/ drive. I have 2 hard drives, C:/ and D:/ The D drive does not show up in my computer. I need my D drive as it contains all my mp3's and stuff like that. I tried using a disk I used way back when I got the new hard drive, and it told me I need to format my Hard drive. To me that sounds like wiping the drive, which I really don't want to do. Does anybody know how I can get my computer to read my D drive without having to lose all my data.

Please help, please please please please please!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you need this (if you have XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

ReputationRep:
    ok re-read it, it sounds like you have deleted your old partition and make a whole new one. I don't know what operating system you have so cannot advise any further as this depends on what kind of partition you have and the operating system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Oh my god. Today has been the worst day ever. Yesterday I had a problem with something called Sysai. I was told to download Adaware and Spybot etc to fix my computer etc. I did the scans and deleted everything that came up. Hurrah I thought, computer fixed. When I turned my computer on today, it told me to Reinstall Windows. This caused me to have a heart attack, and cry, a lot. I tried again and again to start the computer without reinstalling windows, but had no luck. I therefore had to reinstall windows, losing all my files on my computer. Poo poo poo poo poo.

So now, windows is reinstalled, I have a clean, empty, depressingly dull computer. The problem I have now is trying to find my D:/ drive. I have 2 hard drives, C:/ and D:/ The D drive does not show up in my computer. I need my D drive as it contains all my mp3's and stuff like that. I tried using a disk I used way back when I got the new hard drive, and it told me I need to format my Hard drive. To me that sounds like wiping the drive, which I really don't want to do. Does anybody know how I can get my computer to read my D drive without having to lose all my data.

Please help, please please please please please!
    did you change operating systems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Sounds like you need this (if you have XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    ermmm, no it doesnt. did you bother to read the post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    ermmm, no it doesnt. did you bother to read the post?
    yes just re-read it, I am rather busy tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I have windows 98 SE. I need to get my D drive back without losing all the data on it. I have the same operating system as before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    yes just re-read it, I am rather busy tonight.
    ok, forgiven

to the OP: check if your D drive comes up in the POST (the black screen when you turn your pc on and it checks your memory etc)

ReputationRep:
    I have windows 98 SE. I need to get my D drive back without losing all the data on it. I have the same operating system as before.
    Do you have seperate drives, or one drive that is partitioned?

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 separate drives.

I will check the post screen in a moment.

ReputationRep:
    Go into command promot and type in D: see what happens

then type in FDISK
    then press the number that shows you what logical drives you have.

Be careful in FDISK though.

I cannot remember the exact procedure for win98 as I haven't used it for years. Also the sassa virus dosn't infect windows 98.

ReputationRep:
    I typed in D and it said "Invalid Drive specification"

I did the FDISK thing, but I didn't know what to do once I was on there. I says I have 1 fixed drive. Argh, this is so annoying! I just want my computer back to how it used to be!

ReputationRep:
    The data from drive D: is most likely to be still there physical, its just you have deleted the partiton without having FDISK in front of me I don't think their is any easy ways of resotoring the partition.

When you format the drive you are not deleting anything, you are simple telling the hardrive that it can re-write over any exisitng files, and and delete anything of the old contents of the file accolation table (for FAT systems) like what yous will be.

ReputationRep:
    I typed in D and it said "Invalid Drive specification"

I did the FDISK thing, but I didn't know what to do once I was on there. I says I have 1 fixed drive. Argh, this is so annoying! I just want my computer back to how it used to be!
    check the bios to see the IDE configuration

ReputationRep:
    So if I do the format the drive, i will not lose all the files I have saved on there? If so, I can do that using my MaxBlast disk which I used when I first got the Hard Drive.

IDE Configuration? Whoa, slow down! I'm a wee novice here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    check the bios to see the IDE configuration
    Did you do any changes inside the computer, if you did it is possible u could have displaced some cables and/or jumpers

ReputationRep:
    So if I do the format the drive, i will not lose all the files I have saved on there? If so, I can do that using my MaxBlast disk which I used when I first got the Hard Drive.

IDE Configuration? Whoa, slow down! I'm a wee novice here!
    DONT format your drive. (not yet)

it will take you ages to get the data back, whereas the problem could just be a loose cable or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I havent touched the inside of the computer at all. I just reinstalled Windows using the recovery disk.

ReputationRep:
    I havent touched the inside of the computer at all. I just reinstalled Windows using the recovery disk.
    have you tried looking at the POST screen yet?

ReputationRep:
    go into device manager and see if both hard drives are detected there

(right click on my computer > properties >device manager)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.