Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am currently on my gap year and applying to university to start in 2015. This being the case, I already have my A-level grades. So my question is, how likely am I to receive offers from universities if my grades meet their requirements? Is it definite? Or is there a likely possibility that I could still be rejected? :confused:

At the moment my grades meet exactly the requirements for some universities, and others, it exceeds. The purpose of asking this question is to know whether it is worth taking resits to achieve higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ren12)
    Hi there,

I am currently on my gap year and applying to university to start in 2015. This being the case, I already have my A-level grades. So my question is, how likely am I to receive offers from universities if my grades meet their requirements? Is it definite? Or is there a likely possibility that I could still be rejected? :confused:

At the moment my grades meet exactly the requirements for some universities, and others, it exceeds. The purpose of asking this question is to know whether it is worth taking resits to achieve higher grades.
    I believe that if you meet the requirements with actual grades (i.e. not predicted) then you will be guaranteed the place, especially if you exceed them. Instead of giving you an offer they would give you an unconditional and you can choose from the unconditionals which you receive

The only universities which wouldn't definitely accept you when you have the required grades are the ones which do interviews for places. In this case they would give you an interview and then decide whether or not to give you an unconditional Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Another thing is that if your grades meet the requirements then you also need to think about your personal statement and what that says about you in relation to other people applying for the courses your are interested in.

Grades show your academic side but the personal statement shows what kind of student you are, why you want to study that course, what your future aspirations are - and so on.

Good luck with your application.

Mish
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ren12)
    Hi there,

holding grades that meet or exceed the typical offer is no guarantee that you will get an offer. Many courses have requirements from your subject mix, ps and reference that need to be met.

All it means is that if you get an offer it will be an unconditional offer as you have your grades already. That means no insurance choice.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.