Attendance warning -You are at risk of being withdrawn from your course Watch

snowster
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok so I got an attendance warning today, not too worried since I go to all of my lectures/seminars anyway so presumably it's just an error.

However it got me thinking:

Is it really fair for a university to kick somebody off the course for not attending their lectures/seminars? We pay £9000 per year to attend university, if somebody wishes to fork out a total upwards of £27k should their lack of effort result in them being removed from the course completely? It just seems so extreme to me..

Thoughts?
MaseratiJay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it is, what's the point of having someone on the system if they don't ever turn up. Not only does it help with discipline it also stops them dragging down the University's stats and what not.

We have a 'if you miss three or more seminars' rule and if you do your work for that module is capped at 40%. Certain modules if you miss three or more you are put down as failing it and have to re-take it the following semester. And with those modules, if you do miss that many it is very likely you will flop anyway so I get where they are coming from.

Not only that, they have to notify SFE if people aren't turning up etc. Does not look good if a Uni has students...but 1/3 are failing, 1/3 are alright and the final 1/3 are at risk of failing for example.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by snowster)
Ok so I got an attendance warning today, not too worried since I go to all of my lectures/seminars anyway so presumably it's just an error.

Is it really fair for a university to kick somebody off the course for not attending their lectures/seminars? We pay £9000 per year to attend university, if somebody wishes to fork out a total upwards of £27k should their lack of effort result in them being removed from the course completely? It just seems so extreme to me..

Thoughts?
If you're not going to lectures, you're probably not going to do very well. And no university wants a poor 1st/2:1 percentage.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't attend = you're more likely to fail = you'll be a bad statisitic that the university doesn't want.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it should be right that Universities hand out warnings for not attending lectures etc unless they have exceptional circumstances like an illness or family problems.
Mimir
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by snowster)

Thoughts?
Irrelavent. If you can't commit you shouldn't be there. Why should the University waste time over you? Remember how many applicants there are per place, they aren't short of business!

When I studied Medicine, if you missed or were even one minute late for two sessions (dissection/lab work/clinical experience etc ) in an academic year, you were expelled, no questions asked unless you had medical evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads