69.23%
Modern (4)
30.77%
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is a hot debate I have recently been engaged in. I have decorated my tree with glittery silver and gold and mint green baubles and received massive backlash at my lack of traditional red and green colours and tinsel...

Are you a traditional or modern christmas person?
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We just go to town on the tree and overload it with different tinsel and baubels and the whole works. Probably more modern then.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A mixture generally; I suppose it's more modern but I don't bloody care. The point of decorating the damn tree is that you get to choose what goes on it. Sod all this specific colours and symmetry crap. Ain't nobody got time for that.
tinkerbell_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Modern I like having different colours and think it looks better and more personal to the person/family that is decorating it
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a traditionalist. Whenever I see a friend with a white or golden Christmas tree sprinkled with hideous tinsel and oddly shaped baubles, I secretly judge them for it :lol:
miser
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I prefer a good traditional Christmas. That's why at our house we celebrate in order to assist the great god Marduk in his battle against the Monsters of Chaos.
bokonist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my family we don't have tinsel, but we do have lights and big mishmash of baubles, some in sets, but others just random ones we've accumulated. We also have little weaved baskets of sweets, which I think is a swedish thing
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
I'm a traditionalist. Whenever I see a friend with a white or golden Christmas tree sprinkled with hideous tinsel and oddly shaped baubles, I secretly judge them for it :lol:
Oh I think the tree has to be green but as long as the each tinsel is just the one colour I don't care if you have a load of mismatched colours.
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends - we have a red/gold box, but we also have a silver/blue/purple box. Depends on the year
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
Traditional :daydreaming:

I hope that one day, when I have my own little cottage in Yorkshire, I'll be able to sit in front of an open fire at Christmastime. And go to a little village church for mass. And go for wintry walks in the Yorkshire Dales. :daydreaming:

Want to do ALL the traditional Christmas things.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I quite like a traditional tree, but don't mind modern twists on other aspects of the day .
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We have a family tradition of adding a bizarre bauble to the tree every year. So our tree is adorned with dancing pink poodles, a green chicken and a slightly insane looking morbidly obese snowman-santa.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
We have a family tradition of adding a bizarre bauble to the tree every year. So our tree is adorned with dancing pink poodles, a green chicken and a slightly insane looking morbidly obese snowman-santa.
Not as weird as our tree. My parents buy souvenirs everywhere we go to put on the tree. So it includes fishing weights; several lobsters; many, many mushrooms and all sorts of crap. Every year we remember all the stuff we have and it's super fun to decorate the tree. But this year all the decorations are in storage so we're just having lights and sweets.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
Not as weird as our tree. My parents buy souvenirs everywhere we go to put on the tree. So it includes fishing weights; several lobsters; many, many mushrooms and all sorts of crap. Every year we remember all the stuff we have and it's super fun to decorate the tree. But this year all the decorations are in storage so we're just having lights and sweets.
We now have something to aspire to!
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Traditional really.

Softly decorated tree with a few baubles and nice decorations.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I go for a minimalist tree.

Usually the tree is without any decorations beyond the LED lights that blink in yellow and blue and a silver star at the top.

This year the lights will be red, blue and white.
Tarte Tatin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Variety is the spice of life.
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Traditional. Purge the heretics! .
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like a mix of both traditional and modern Christmas traditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.59%
No - but I will (74)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (451)
47.62%

Watched Threads