Want to drop out? Watch

amibon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've got various diagnosed mental health issues, and I literally can't manage college anymore. I feel ill constantly, suffer from depression and possible ME, as well as college mentally exhausting me every day. I'm only in for one lesson a day, and it still takes it's toll on me.
I want to drop out, but the law says anyone under 18 must stay in college or get a job, but I don't have the health to get a job either. What can I do?

I'd really appreciate some answers!

(Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I tried the search button but nothing really popped up)
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to show them proof of your diagnosis
amibon
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
You have to show them proof of your diagnosis
We have. The college know everything that's going on.
The only reason I don't think I can drop out is because of the stupid 18+ law. Is there any way around that?
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amibon)
We have. The college know everything that's going on.
The only reason I don't think I can drop out is because of the stupid 18+ law. Is there any way around that?
No, you have to pull through it. Don't worry if you fail once, you can reapply to another college if you need the grades
amibon
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
No, you have to pull through it. Don't worry if you fail once, you can reapply to another college if you need the grades
That's the problem though - I physically can't. It's taking it's toll on my health badly, and my attendance is going down. I don't want my parents to get into trouble for it, but I just can't take being this stressed out constantly anymore. We've tried talking to the college but they just say "oh we're just happy you're in~~" and sugar-coat the whole subject, not really doing anything about it.
I'm totally at a loss on what to do, since it's stressing me out as well as my parents.

*edit* I'm actually not fussed about grades for now, so that isn't worrying me in case anyone was thinking about that !

Also sorry for how annoyed I sound, I'm just reaaalllly stressed out
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't use mental health as an excuse to do nothing. Do you have anyone in college to talk to about this? Any classmates who understand your situation? (Make sure you emphasise that you're not saying you don't want to complete your course)
Slushymoon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know someone who was in a similar situation, they dropped out of college but continued A levels as private candidate.That's if your parents are happy to pay for the exams.Talk to someone you trust about it, maybe some time out would even help?
Wimbs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its nearly Christmas. Hang in there mate! Two weeks of recovery time!

If its depression there are pills to help. If its ME I sympathise. It can be debilitating and last for months but the upshot is it does sod off afterwards!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I think you should drop out, i have depression and im thinking of leaving since everyone sees me as the loner
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Think positive, don't leave because your isolated, leave if its having a bad impact on you and your school work. Some times waiting is the best medicine, patients is key.If its a new school or 6th form things take time, engage more at school, heck join a club even. DON'T LET NEGATIVE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE. And i know you might think, "what does person know how it feels", believe me i been there.
Wimbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anonymous1 - please don't drop out on the basis of thinking everyone sees you as 'the loner.' When you get older you realise people care far less than you think either way! So they don't really 'care' about the people sitting on their own in lectures etc but by the smae token, engage people in conversation and they are thinking 'Who the f*** are you' much less than you realise.

Depression and loneliness are a match made in hell, one precipitating the other. Depression makes you lonely because you feel unable to interact with people and vice-versa, loneliness leads to depression.

To throw a leftfield comment out there (although I may get negatives for this) maybe depressed/lonely people in Halls etc should be allowed pets eg. a cat. They would keep the lonely person company and there is nothing like a pet to gain the interest of hallmates, quickly it might lead to human-human friendships!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wimbs)
Anonymous1 - please don't drop out on the basis of thinking everyone sees you as 'the loner.' When you get older you realise people care far less than you think either way! So they don't really 'care' about the people sitting on their own in lectures etc but by the smae token, engage people in conversation and they are thinking 'Who the f*** are you' much less than you realise.

Depression and loneliness are a match made in hell, one precipitating the other. Depression makes you lonely because you feel unable to interact with people and vice-versa, loneliness leads to depression.

To throw a leftfield comment out there (although I may get negatives for this) maybe depressed/lonely people in Halls etc should be allowed pets eg. a cat. They would keep the lonely person company and there is nothing like a pet to gain the interest of hallmates, quickly it might lead to human-human friendships!
Mate, my teacher doesnt even want me there, she knows herself that im not known to others, she knows my attendance is crap because im seen as the nobody, she has hinted she will get rid of me by the end of term. I thought i had 'friends'. They quickly knew how inept i was and they stopped talking to me and they became very popular with the main group.

I'm doing an access course and its so hard and im taking antidepressants which im sucipious has ruined my concentration hence the difficulty of focussing on my coursework. I wish i went to uni but i know it aint happening :cry2:
CiaraTHxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going through the same problem atm, I want to drop out of college and been texting my tutor all day about why i hate it the poor woman had like big hefty paras to read all day. I'd recommend applying to a full time job that doesn't require a lot of hours (what I've done) and focus on your own health and wellbeing and if you want to return to your college course in the future you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wimbs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Mate, my teacher doesnt even want me there, she knows herself that im not known to others, she knows my attendance is crap because im seen as the nobody, she has hinted she will get rid of me by the end of term. I thought i had 'friends'. They quickly knew how inept i was and they stopped talking to me and they became very popular with the main group.

I'm doing an access course and its so hard and im taking antidepressants which im sucipious has ruined my concentration hence the difficulty of focussing on my coursework. I wish i went to uni but i know it aint happening :cry2:

So the best thing you can do is PROVE HER WRONG!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads