Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently did the October SAT and scored a 1670 (Yes it is an appalling score). I have registered for the January SAT and was wondering whether it is possible for me to bring my score up to a 2400 or at least 2200+. My current average score is 1880.

ReputationRep:
    What are your individual section scores?

I'm sure that with dedicated practice you could raise to 2000+ but some people just don't test well so nothing's guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    My scores were:

CR: 490
    Math: 690
    Writing: 510

ReputationRep:
    How are you currently studying and (honestly) how much are you studying?

Your Maths is okay for now. focus on CR and Writing. Unfortunately CR is one of the hardest to revise but writing isn't too bad if you've got a good grip on grammar and what they are after.

Have you ever thought of the ACT?

ReputationRep:
    The ACT is a Much better option.
    If you are a science person, take the ACT.

If you still want to take the SAT, you just have to practice more and more papers, (you may take the SAT CB Online course for that).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feyy)
    How are you currently studying and (honestly) how much are you studying?

Your Maths is okay for now. focus on CR and Writing. Unfortunately CR is one of the hardest to revise but writing isn't too bad if you've got a good grip on grammar and what they are after.

Have you ever thought of the ACT?
    Well I'm currently focusing a lot on the English aspect of the SAT. I'm learning all the grammar rules for writing and doing at least 10 - 15 words a day to improve my vocabulary. Next week I'm planning on starting some practice tests.

ReputationRep:
    You need to practice writing timed essays too- And following the format they want.

Are you using the online course? The big blue book? Barrons? How are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Most people can improve about 300 points but usually no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABarnes)
    I recently did the October SAT and scored a 1670 (Yes it is an appalling score). I have registered for the January SAT and was wondering whether it is possible for me to bring my score up to a 2400 or at least 2200+. My current average score is 1880.
    Getting a 2400 on the SAT is almost unheard of. If you study really hard (or go to tutoring/prep class) you can probably get a 2200+ but it will definitely not come by easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABarnes)
    My scores were:

CR: 490
    Math: 690
    Writing: 510
    I was able to raise my SAT score from 2000 (starting with no practice) to 2260 (after a lot of practice tests) with 670 CR, 790 M, and 800 W. For me I mostly had to work on being careful and staying focused. I also think I could have raised it even more but I didn't think it was worth it considering the schools I was going to apply to.

I think it's doable to raise your score to around 2000 or even more if you do A LOT of practice tests. There are only so many types of questions the SAT tests and after a while you'll recognize them and remember how to solve them. The math is basic and you should be able to raise it to at least mid-700s if you don't make careless errors. The writing section is probably the easiest to score well on because there are only like 10 rules you need to learn and there's not much question variation. You can probably get at least in the mid-600s. The CR section is a little more difficult but you should be able to get at least 600. I think it's a waste of time to try to memorize vocab simply because there aren't really that many hard words on the CR section anyways, so you should already know at least half or more of them if you read and the rest you can just guess if you know roots. It's better to spend your studying time on things that you know will come up.

I recommend a private tutor if possible. They can help you assess your strengths/weaknesses and make sure you're studying effectively.

Also, I forgot to add, it's really not necessary to get a 2400. Unless it comes naturally to you (which it doesn't seem like it does), it's not worth the time and effort. Generally speaking, for top tier colleges 2250 is the "barrier" that most people aim for. 2300+ is even better, but after that point the difference in impact a 2390 has vs a 2320 has is pretty negligible. There are lots of applicants with impressive test scores like that so you need to differentiate yourself somehow. It's more important to focus on grades and extracurriculars (can't stress this enough).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.