AH chemistry investigation help Watch

quiett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey all so basically I'm doing the manganese content in steel investigation and I've noticed that for the colorimetric method it is necessary measuring the absorbance of potassium permanganate solution and a calibration graph is produced. Why is this? like what actually is the point in doing this? I'm so confused
Pharm Boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by quiett)
hey all so basically I'm doing the manganese content in steel investigation and I've noticed that for the colorimetric method it is necessary measuring the absorbance of potassium permanganate solution and a calibration graph is produced. Why is this? like what actually is the point in doing this? I'm so confused
If you decided to not bother making a calibration curve then you would dissolve your steel/manganese, measure the absorbance and obtain a number that you'd struggle to decipher anything from.

Therefore you would make different solutions of known concentrations of manganese, obtain their absorbance and plot a graph which will then put your unknown manganese sample's absorbance into perspective.

A very simplified example is if you made up a solution of potassium permanganate so that there was 1mg in every ml, measured its absorbance and found it gave a reading of 0.5, then you would know that solutions containing 1mg/ml of manganese produces an absorbance of 0.5. If you then ran your unknown steel solution and obtained an absorbance of 0.5, then you know there must be 1mg/ml of manganese in that solution and therefore in that sample of steel.

-Hope that helps a bit.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by quiett)
You can use the beer lambert law to determine the concentration of the solution
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads