The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

piginapoke
Its threads that have posts that you haven't read (posts that have been made since you last looked at the thread) that are in bold. At some point, all threads over a certain age are marked as read, i.e. are no longer bold even if you haven't read them. Sometimes a glitch will occur and the server will 'forget' which threads you have or haven't read, causing previously read threads to be emboldened again, especially if you use multiple windows.

What exactly is this, 'certain age', does anybody know?
piginapoke
Ok, as per this screenshot from the vBulletin admin control panel (on my computer not this site), all threads are supposedly marked read after 15 minutes, 15 minutes is the default and it seems to be what this forum is set as. So, if you stayed on UKL all day without a break of 15 minutes or more, the threads would never be marked as read. But if you left for 15 minutes or more, they would be.

Ok, thanks Piggy. :biggrin:
How can I get an animated avatar?
I have a few pix that I want to animate (i.e. like a slide show...)
Help:smile:
Reply 183
Rose in Bloom

You ask someone who has an animation program, I.g. Ollie, Infinity, amg, or myself. I think we are the only ones who currently have such software but I could be mistaken.
Reply 184
Rose in Bloom

i think other people do it on 'Photoshop'....you'll be better off asking people who have already got ones like that, e.g. ollie, xenon (but i think ollie did hers)....come to think of it, moncal has an 'avatar service', so he'll probably do one for you....
Reply 185
Being utterly useless on a computer I was wondering whether someone could enlighten me - i can post links on here fine but how do you post them with a differnt name so it looks like here rather than www.uk-learning.net ?
Reply 186
Cossack
Being utterly useless on a computer I was wondering whether someone could enlighten me - i can post links on here fine but how do you post them with a differnt name so it looks like here rather than www.uk-learning.net ?

The last page or the page before that says how to. I posted a picture of the icon you need to click.
Reply 187
moncal
The last page or the page before that says how to. I posted a picture of the icon you need to click.

oh yeah, thank you
What's the most you can write in one message? I wish to make a huge thread tomorrow and want to know how much i can include in it, i may have to make replies to my own thread to fit it in....
piginapoke
10,000 characters I think.

Alright, you'll get honorable mention, you're always most helpful.
Reply 190
tis_me_lord
What's the most you can write in one message? I wish to make a huge thread tomorrow and want to know how much i can include in it, i may have to make replies to my own thread to fit it in....

Going by the picture thread, I think that it may be line based rather than character based. Around 70 I think, although I may have miscounted and I'm not sure what effect sigs have.
piginapoke
]{ingnik has split it up like that to allow for expansion. The limit is based on a number of characters, 10,000 is the default, it may be a different number on here.

Ok, i'll just throw it all in at once, if i get a message saying it's too long i'll split it into 10,000 word chunks. Maybe 10,000 is about right though...
Reply 192
tis_me_lord
Ok, i'll just throw it all in at once, if i get a message saying it's too long i'll split it into 10,000 word chunks. Maybe 10,000 is about right though...

10000 characters...
Reply 193
The last time I heard it mentioned, it was 1000 words.
Reply 194
tis_me_lord

Are you posting a doctoral thesis?
It includes the characters used in quote and other tags and also URLs (another reason that the picture thread seems not to contain a lot - it's full of links)
"The text that you have entered is too long (32246 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."
Reply 197
tis_me_lord
"The text that you have entered is too long (32246 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

Split it into 4 posts or select briefer synonyms and/or syntax :tongue:

I doubt many will read such a long post unless it is extremely entertaining!
poop
Split it into 4 posts or select briefer synonyms and/or syntax :tongue:

I doubt many will read such a long post unless it is extremely entertaining!

There.
Reply 199
It also seems to count spaces as characters. I copied and pasted it into word and came up with 9,200 someodd characters with spaces.

Latest

Trending

Trending