GCSE Mocks have gone terrible? Watch

Seeyousoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really want to be a doctor (honest I'm determined) and I know GCSE mocks don't really matter, but they've gone absolutely terrible and I'm feeling a bit unconfident in the fact view of my teachers that feel as if I could get 7+ A*'s (which would be perfect for medicine considering I have extenuating circumstances) if I work hard enough. I'm planning to study from January onwards, and I hardly studied for my GCSE mocks. I freaked out in my history mock and have had to change the way I revise for it; and in general it just hasn't gone very well for me.

Anyone fancy giving me a pep talk? I'm lacking any confidence and motivation right now I'm so glad that Christmas is coming!
Mattlloydd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seeyousoon)
I really want to be a doctor (honest I'm determined) and I know GCSE mocks don't really matter, but they've gone absolutely terrible and I'm feeling a bit unconfident in the fact view of my teachers that feel as if I could get 7+ A*'s (which would be perfect for medicine considering I have extenuating circumstances) if I work hard enough. I'm planning to study from January onwards, and I hardly studied for my GCSE mocks. I freaked out in my history mock and have had to change the way I revise for it; and in general it just hasn't gone very well for me.

Anyone fancy giving me a pep talk? I'm lacking any confidence and motivation right now I'm so glad that Christmas is coming!
There is so secret, there is no amazing method if you work hard.. results will come from it.

If you want those grades, what you need is to be learning from your mistakes and working non stop to achieve! People don't get those grades by accident.

From someone who only got one A* at GCSE, i'm now looking to have an A* in my favourite (academic subject) that I wanna do for the rest of my life. My GCSE teachers would have laughed at me if I suggested I would get an A* at A Level.

Work hard, prove them wrong.
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Mimir
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got appalling marks for all my mocks. So long as you do well in the actual examinations that's what matters. The GCSE grades you get will also contribute to how likely your teachers are to give you the required predicted grades for your application for Medicine.
SpottyCandyFloss
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mocks aren't everything- I got all Es and Us but got 5As in the real thing along with Bs and Cs.

The best thing to do is to use it as practice and try not to let it drag you down. Ask for your papers so you can look at what went wrong and what you need to revise and then make a revision timetable and stick to it.

Mocks go wrong for loads of people, but they're only practice ones and they're just to help you see what you need to do next. Have a break over Christmas, and then use your revision timetable to guide you and you'll do great! I want to do medicine as well, I got lower grades because I missed most of Year 10 and 11 due to illnesses but universities don't just look at grades. Good Luck!!
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Makes sure you practice, practice and practice as that is the only thing that makes perfect. When i did my GCSE mocks last year i did not feel confident whatsoever but in the end(the real thing) i did better than i expected and proved my teachers wrong.
Remember that "you can do anything if you try"
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing is my friend got mostly Bs' in his GCSE mock but for the real thing he got 13 A*s'. He's now got offers from UCL and Birmingham and an interview for Manchester and imperial for medicine. Work hard, it can be done :hugs:
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I did my mocks, I didn't revise at all (Despite the teacher telling us to) and while I was disappointed with my results, it just motivated me to work harder for the real things.

When it comes to doing 'proper' revision, remember its about content and exam technique - do past papers and learn what the exam board likes you to say - there are often key phrases that will get bump your marks up.

That being said, I'd warn you against revising to early - January sounds quite early to start revising - you don't want to forget what you've revised/ get burned out by the time May rolled around. I personally started revising at easter, and most of my friends had been revising since the end of march/early april for GCSEs.

Good luck
MoinaFC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what paper did you do for the maths mock exams
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have plenty of time. I got 7 As, 2 Bs and a C in my mocks and got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B in the real exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
AnimeFreak101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aww! There's no need to feel sad. I know I failed mine as well and I'm aiming to do Medicine too. The only thing you can do is brush yourself up and START REVISING. If those grades were embarassing STICK IT UP on your bedroom wall. So you see the SHAME it really helps. I know I failed, although I haven't gotten mine back. I fell asleep in the maths exam TWICE!!! -_- I don't suck at maths though. I guess I was just tired :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Philosopher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of my mocks now too! I've always been told by my teachers that I should get 2 A*'s for English Language/ Lit. Today I had my literature mock and it went awful. I didn't revise as naturally I revised for the subjects I'm worse at. I know exactly how you feel though as someone who is predicted similar high grades as you and who didn't revise. However, it is important to remember that these mocks are an indication for your teachers to help you on what you're struggling. In some ways I'd rather do SO BADLY in these ones as they don't matter and improve for the real thing. In my end of Year 10 English one it went very badly and I was almost certain I hadn't even passed, because I only wrote for half the time. Luckily I got an A, which shows me that in my real exam if I think I have done this badly again (which hopefully I wont) I wont have done as bad as I thought. If you don't get the grades you want it will only make you work harder and your teacher spend more time on you. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, remember the teachers predicted you those grades for a reason! Good Luck!!
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you want me to be honest it depends on how bad you've done, if you didn't do any revision for them now you know you should haha. They aren't the be all end all, I got 2 Cs in my mocks and got them up to A*A by summer. It all depends on which direction you take now, work hard or dither. If you want to be a doctor, I think you know which direction to take

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise