Thinking about dropping out of university? Watch

dylantombides
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm second year. First year I messed about, over the summer I've changed so much from a personal perspective and wanted to knuckle down (not just for my course but in loads of other ways). I've never been intelligent, lacked organisation, time management and several learning difficulties which suck big time. I just got back the grade for my first unit of second year. I left the work to the last minute, messed up and FAILED - got lower than a third. I've been called dumb, thick etc which gets to me and hurts hearing it everyday.

I wanted to get a career in Sports Psychology which requires a masters but I am now thinking this is out of my depth (Got a 2:1 in this unit in first year though). Now since I don't think I can do Sports Psychology i don't know what I want to do. Many careers in my course you can potentially get without a degree.

Thing holding me back is that I've paid so much money so I think it's stupid to drop out. Also I've wasted like 2 years.

I'm not sure I've made 'friends for life' like they say you do at Uni too. I'm not saying I have no friends... I just don't consider them super close (no closer than my friends I work with/I had at school - who i'm not even that close to eg we don't go round each other's houses.

I don't know if a more practical job would suit me as I find lectures repetitive hearing them just go on and on about stuff using extensive vocabulary then reading dull journal articles. But I don't know if I can find well paid jobs. Well they may be well paid but in the long term when I'm older (eg 30) they'll be a bit awful!

Can people help me make a decision?
dylantombides
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
bump
Wimbs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you have learning difficulties, you should see someone in charge of academic support at Uni. They can do things like give you extra time in exams.

You are NOT dumb! You got into uni for goodness sake and you passed your 1st year! Occasionally you might 'fail'a module - just make sure you don't fail too many (as then you don't have enough credits) - I 'failed' two exams in my finals, one at just 9%yet I got an honours overall! I doubt people are maliciously calling you dumb, lads still in their teenage years like to 'blaze' (to use a Birminghamism.) Maybe a Masters is too much but you have come so far, don;t turn back now! Good luck mate!
Ailish Myland
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dylantombides)
I'm second year. First year I messed about, over the summer I've changed so much from a personal perspective and wanted to knuckle down (not just for my course but in loads of other ways). I've never been intelligent, lacked organisation, time management and several learning difficulties which suck big time. I just got back the grade for my first unit of second year. I left the work to the last minute, messed up and FAILED - got lower than a third. I've been called dumb, thick etc which gets to me and hurts hearing it everyday.

I wanted to get a career in Sports Psychology which requires a masters but I am now thinking this is out of my depth (Got a 2:1 in this unit in first year though). Now since I don't think I can do Sports Psychology i don't know what I want to do. Many careers in my course you can potentially get without a degree.

Thing holding me back is that I've paid so much money so I think it's stupid to drop out. Also I've wasted like 2 years.

I'm not sure I've made 'friends for life' like they say you do at Uni too. I'm not saying I have no friends... I just don't consider them super close (no closer than my friends I work with/I had at school - who i'm not even that close to eg we don't go round each other's houses.

I don't know if a more practical job would suit me as I find lectures repetitive hearing them just go on and on about stuff using extensive vocabulary then reading dull journal articles. But I don't know if I can find well paid jobs. Well they may be well paid but in the long term when I'm older (eg 30) they'll be a bit awful!

Can people help me make a decision?

Hi Dylan,

My name is Ailish and I am in my final year at Bournemouth University, studying BSc Sport Development and Coaching Sciences.

As you are interested in a career in Sports Psychology, I thought I'd offer you a little more information about the opportunities offered in sunny Bournemouth.

BU offers a host of sports courses including BSc Sport Psychology and Coaching Sciences. The degree course is a fantastic combination of practical, industrial and academic work with an invaluable placement year following your first two years of study.
To give you a rough idea of what you study; in our first year we covered Sports Marketing and Administration, Human Machine (e.g. exercise physiology), Exercise Psychology and Health and Sports Context - hopefully I have remembered them all! The first year is there to get all students up to the same level, so you shouldn't worry too much about the initial workload!

Also, there are fantastic learning support services on site, I think we are even the first university to use animal assisted learning! (Although I'm not too clued up about how that works).

It might be a good opportunity to book onto one of our Open Days to get a better feel for the town, University in general and course. I really cant recommend studying sport at Bournemouth enough!

Hope that is useful, please do get in touch if I can be of any more help.

Thanks

Ailish
coffeecakey
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
I felt like I was in a similar situation a year ago too. Zero confidence in future employability, and zero friends/fun experiences.

My advice would be to stay motivated and keep going. You're almost there, and it is normal to feel those feelings. Just one more year! Be proud of your achievements, you have come really far, you're just unable to see that yet!

I'm going to guess your main concern is about your future employability, I highly reccommend visiting your Uni's student help place where they can give you career advice. Your degree isn't useless and you are not dumb
studentLynch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey man , Im in the exact situation as you, I'm a second year student on a sports business degree i have learning disabilities and failed everything this first semester :L .... I've never failed anything academic wise before, I know it feels bad and like we're just failing lol I'm also considering dropping out but I'm unsure of what i would want to work as when I'm older too ahhhhh man life is hard !!!!
Tracy_Baby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ailish Myland)
Hi Dylan,

My name is Ailish and I am in my final year at Bournemouth University, studying BSc Sport Development and Coaching Sciences.

As you are interested in a career in Sports Psychology, I thought I'd offer you a little more information about the opportunities offered in sunny Bournemouth.

BU offers a host of sports courses including BSc Sport Psychology and Coaching Sciences. The degree course is a fantastic combination of practical, industrial and academic work with an invaluable placement year following your first two years of study.
To give you a rough idea of what you study; in our first year we covered Sports Marketing and Administration, Human Machine (e.g. exercise physiology), Exercise Psychology and Health and Sports Context - hopefully I have remembered them all! The first year is there to get all students up to the same level, so you shouldn't worry too much about the initial workload!

Also, there are fantastic learning support services on site, I think we are even the first university to use animal assisted learning! (Although I'm not too clued up about how that works).

It might be a good opportunity to book onto one of our Open Days to get a better feel for the town, University in general and course. I really cant recommend studying sport at Bournemouth enough!

Hope that is useful, please do get in touch if I can be of any more help.

Thanks

Ailish
I'm on the media production course at bournemouth... I haven't received my grades for my developing arguments (2 essays) I've been referred to chairs or something? Other than that I've resubmitted and passed everything else. Do you think I'll have to retake the year or?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads