The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Music Management and Music Promotion

I have an interview on the 12th of this month for music management and a music promotion course both at Southampton Solent.
They want me to provide an example of my written work but I have not done any relevant work experience apart from work in a few night clubs here and there, has anyone else been in this situation? If so, what did you bring?
I was also wondering if anyone has any general advice on the interview itself and on the task you have to complete about arranging a line up for a festival?

Any advice is appreciated x
Reply 1
Hi, I have the same interview coming up in the next few weeks. Is there any advice you could give. What do they ask? and what writing did you bring? I am in the same boat that i do not have much relevant experience, so if you could let me know the sorts of things that were said that would be very helpful.

Thanks
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
I haven't done any relevant work experience too (apart from having a YouTube channel with covers of my fav songs) and still they sent me an offer to study Music Promotion. I'm not from UK and I couldn't come for an interview in person, so I had to send an e-mail with my written task about festival line-up. It wasn't that hard, but I have to admit, writing is less stressing than having a real interview at the University :P I don't think that work experience is necessary, just be yourself and tell them how much you love music :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by keloy
I haven't done any relevant work experience too (apart from having a YouTube channel with covers of my fav songs) and still they sent me an offer to study Music Promotion. I'm not from UK and I couldn't come for an interview in person, so I had to send an e-mail with my written task about festival line-up. It wasn't that hard, but I have to admit, writing is less stressing than having a real interview at the University :P I don't think that work experience is necessary, just be yourself and tell them how much you love music :smile:

Ah cool! I will try to be myself and hopefully it all goes well, thanks for the reply!
Hey I'm thinking of doing this course too, do you have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Many people told me that it's a great course with great lecturers, you will have a lot of opportunities to work and gain experience in the music industry. Everyone highly recommended me this course and that's why I'm defenitely going to Solent University in September. I guess you just have to be very passionate about music. I'm not from the UK and I'm pretty sure that I want to study at this course :smile: This is going to be fun. See you in September.
Reply 6
Original post by keloy
Many people told me that it's a great course with great lecturers, you will have a lot of opportunities to work and gain experience in the music industry. Everyone highly recommended me this course and that's why I'm defenitely going to Solent University in September. I guess you just have to be very passionate about music. I'm not from the UK and I'm pretty sure that I want to study at this course :smile: This is going to be fun. See you in September.

Hi again! I applied for a deferred entry(2016), so hopefully I get the grades to study at Solent. Best of luck in September, Let me know how it is.
Have you had an interview? Do you need any work experience to get accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm not from the UK, so I had to send them an e-mail with a written task (about my dream-festival lineup). I didn't have any relevant work experience in this field and still they sent me an offer.
Reply 9
Original post by LewisW180598
Have you had an interview? Do you need any work experience to get accepted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:
Yes you will be invited to an interview, and No i did not have any relevant work experience and I got an offer.
Original post by JD133
Hi :smile:
Yes you will be invited to an interview, and No i did not have any relevant work experience and I got an offer.

Thanks for the help! I think it's a 200-240 UCAS points entry requirement so hopefully I can get the grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by LewisW180598
Thanks for the help! I think it's a 200-240 UCAS points entry requirement so hopefully I can get the grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :smile:
Hey there I'm Hanna I'm gonna be doing music promotion in September:smile: come say hi aha also this uni is so leaniant they don't care about your grades they just wanna know more about you . I'm 21 so I'm classed as a nature student haha so I got in but yea will be cool too get to know you also others doing the same course so don't worry see you in September :smile:
Original post by Alexandria21
Hey there I'm Hanna I'm gonna be doing music promotion in September:smile: come say hi aha also this uni is so leaniant they don't care about your grades they just wanna know more about you . I'm 21 so I'm classed as a nature student haha so I got in but yea will be cool too get to know you also others doing the same course so don't worry see you in September :smile:

Hey I'm applying for this uni this year for 2016 entry, do you have any advice about the interview/entry requirements etc? Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey where you from?:smile: I'm from London England I'm gonna be studying it in September as well come party with me :biggrin: 🍷
Original post by keloy

Hey where you from? I'm gonna be studying music promotion as well :smile: come party with me aha I'm Hanna from London :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending