Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hi everyone

I'm currently studying for the LITB3 Gothic exam (Wuthering Heights, The White Devil and the Bloody Chamber), and I'm wondering if anyone has good advice for how to learn quotations? Which methods most worked for you when do you did this exam?

Also, how many quotations would you recommend learning for each text and how did you narrow them down? I feel like I'm ok with the analysis of everything, it's just the quotation learning and idea of a closed-book exam that scares me a little bit.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me; hopefully your answers will be helpful for some other people too. Quotation learning is something that isn't really required before A2 level, so it's quite an unfamiliar thing...

ReputationRep:
    Seriously hoping someone will contribute as I'm wondering the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    I am having the same problem! Currently, I am re-reading The Bloody Chamber stories and writing down any quotes that may be useful for the exam. I think taking care to ensure they are short and do not drag on is a good point. I think a minimum of 3 quotes per story is probably a good estimate however the more the better.

My teacher told me not to worry too much in an exam if I cant remember the wording exactly. As long as it is basically right then that's all that should matter (not for all exams... just closed book).

I think the key to being confident is to re-read and re-read. Find quotes that could be linked to LOTS of things so that you don't limit yourself.

GOOD LUCK!!

Any other tips would be super useful!

ReputationRep:
    I did this exam last year and am now studying English Literature at uni, so quotation learning is a big thing for me.

For my A2 level I studied "Love through the Ages", so the first thing I did was create sections of love, for example unrequited love, courtly love, obsessive love etc., as my teacher gave us literally about a hundred different texts. once I did this I gave myself a quote, or two, for poetry, prose and drama in these different sections, as this covered everything that come up in the exam. To learn these I put post it notes around my room and flash cards. On the cords I would have, for example, " unrequited love- poem" and on the back was my quote so I could test myself.

This works really well for me, although I'm a visual learner so this may not work for everyone.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma-lauren)
    I did this exam last year and am now studying English Literature at uni, so quotation learning is a big thing for me.

For my A2 level I studied "Love through the Ages", so the first thing I did was create sections of love, for example unrequited love, courtly love, obsessive love etc., as my teacher gave us literally about a hundred different texts. once I did this I gave myself a quote, or two, for poetry, prose and drama in these different sections, as this covered everything that come up in the exam. To learn these I put post it notes around my room and flash cards. On the cords I would have, for example, " unrequited love- poem" and on the back was my quote so I could test myself.

This works really well for me, although I'm a visual learner so this may not work for everyone.

Good luck!
    Thats great, I'll try that. Did you do the gothic or pastoral? Either way do you happen to have any exemplar or sample essays? I'm really struggling to write a good essay that can help me get an A - I mean I think I've got a good essay but then when it comes back marked it's worth a C. I'm assuming you did well so i would be so grateful if you gave some tips

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni at the minute but I go home on Sunday so I can see if have anything on my home pc and post it then

ReputationRep:
    I'd say to find quotes that can be used for a range of gothic elements so you can answer questions on any element without having to remember a different quote for each.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm super stuck for the Changeling!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.