Please help me choose a new laptop :) Watch

DreamGladiatrix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In regards to laptops I'm pretty much technologically illiterate. The extent of my knowledge is that Intel core processors are one of the best processors on the market. I need something durable that will last me at least 3 years, have a good battery life, and quite fast. I will be using it to finish my a levels (in Sciences) and hopefully into uni, so predominantly use it for word/ surfing web/opening science applications.

I will greatly appreciate some advice from u tech savvy people out there!! Ideally I'm willing to spend up to £380. I saw this laptop and thought it would be a great buy;
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.EE...0_1685648.html

If there are other better laptops in the same price range, I would be immensely grateful because this amount of money is quite a lot to me and I want to make sure it's worthwhile.

Thankyou!!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DreamGladiatrix)
Thankyou!!
Sorry this took a while to get approved. Your thread is now live!
DreamGladiatrix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Any advice? Should I get this laptop?
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wouldn't put money into an Acer.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DreamGladiatrix)
In regards to laptops I'm pretty much technologically illiterate. The extent of my knowledge is that Intel core processors are one of the best processors on the market. I need something durable that will last me at least 3 years, have a good battery life, and quite fast. I will be using it to finish my a levels (in Sciences) and hopefully into uni, so predominantly use it for word/ surfing web/opening science applications.

I will greatly appreciate some advice from u tech savvy people out there!! Ideally I'm willing to spend up to £380. I saw this laptop and thought it would be a great buy;
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.EE...0_1685648.html

If there are other better laptops in the same price range, I would be immensely grateful because this amount of money is quite a lot to me and I want to make sure it's worthwhile.

Thankyou!!
It's a budget laptop. Main shortcomings are resolution (1366x768 is very low for 15"), and weight (2.5kg). Unless you watch movies often, the resolution is probably OK. The weight depends on how strong your back is. In general, you get much lower weight and longer battery life with a 13" screen, if you don't mind a smaller screen.

I don't really follow Windows laptops at the moment, but it doesn't strike me as a particularly good deal.

The CPU is probably the best you can get at this price point, but you are sacrificing other things for that. In the end, a lot of things are nice to have, but you have to decide on what you can live without, because you definitely have to accept compromises. A laptop that is very fast, light, and has great battery life would cost much more (eg. the MacBook Pro at >£1,000). If you can get all those things at £380, why would people be paying >£1,000 for their laptops, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed