Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm just turned 18 and I'm looking for a Physical thing to do for my Gold D of E. I'm not really into sports and I was thinking about signing up for dance classes (the ballroom kind - not street dance). My questions are these:
    a) Will there be many other people my age there (male or female)?
    b) Will people, both there and in my social circle, think I'm gay?

ReputationRep:
    Watch the movie Shall we dance?. That's the best case scenario- you find a girl like J Lo.
    Worst case scenario is that people will think you're weird, especially if you don't have the jolly-camp-guy vibe about you.

How do you compare yourself( looks wise), with Richard Gere. That might also have consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by localfox1000)
    Watch the movie Shall we dance?. That's the best case scenario- you find a girl like J Lo.
    Worst case scenario is that people will think you're weird, especially if you don't have the jolly-camp-guy vibe about you.

How do you compare yourself( looks wise), with Richard Gere. That might also have consequences.

Well if he was about 30 years younger looking I could probably pull off the Gere look! I'm rather lacking in the jolly-camp-guy department though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 529)
    Well if he was about 30 years younger looking I could probably pull off the Gere look! I'm rather lacking in the jolly-camp-guy department though...
    well see, that will go a long way.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Why do you care if people think you're gay? Please, come off it.

There are usually social clubs around if you use an internet search engine - they will have classes on most different types of couple dancing. As for how to dance in a club, just get drunk and join in with everyone else's dancing, you'll all look equally silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 529)
    So I'm just turned 18 and I'm looking for a Physical thing to do for my Gold D of E. I'm not really into sports and I was thinking about signing up for dance classes (the ballroom kind - not street dance). My questions are these:
    a) Will there be many other people my age there (male or female)?
    b) Will people, both there and in my social circle, think I'm gay?
    Hi, I know people who are straight, males that have taken up ballroom.

Look at Strictly Come Dancing male pros - they attract the ladies

There's nothing wrong with doing something you enjoy. There will be plenty of people your age too!

Life is for living so go and enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    You definitely won't be made fun of / be considered gay in the lesson - everyone is there for the same thing. You might find 18 year old boys don't make up a huge part of the demographic, but that's only because dancing has a slight stigma to it for boys (it shouldn't - in high society it's always been considered very manly). Girls, probably - I know a few.

You might get a few ribbing comments from your 'social circle', but that really depends on who they are ('lads' or average, intelligent people). If you do, ignore them. If you don't, revel in the fact you have intelligent, decent friends (or go and find some). I guess you'll be going to university soon, anyway?

In short, go for it. You can never have too many skills - you might be grateful for it one day.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.