Psychology RA jobs Watch

mschealthpsych
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place for this post. If not, apologies.

I have just graduated with my MSc Health Psychology and am looking at jobs. I am looking at Research Assistant jobs at the moment.

I came across two RA positions, both by different departments but at the same university. Both appeal to me and I meet the essential criteria as well. My question is - would it harm my application(s) in any way if I decided to apply for both of them at the same time? I have to disclose on my application if I am applying for any other internal vacancy.

Many thanks in advance!
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha I am health psych too

I do not imagine one iota that applying to two jobs at the same uni matters one bit. I have done it before.
mschealthpsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesManc)
Haha I am health psych too

I do not imagine one iota that applying to two jobs at the same uni matters one bit. I have done it before.
Hi James, thanks very much for your reply! That's great to hear. I think I will apply for both positions then

Out of curiosity, have you completed your MSc yet and if so, how's the real world looking out there?
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mschealthpsych)
Hi James, thanks very much for your reply! That's great to hear. I think I will apply for both positions then

Out of curiosity, have you completed your MSc yet and if so, how's the real world looking out there?
Hey, not yet but don't have long to go (part-time student). Even so, applied for PhDs and such though and got good responses. RA less responsive, but I don't tend to go for RA roles because of lack of feedback in past. However, luckily, health psych is one of the roles that's predicted to grow relative to other medical professions/psychology.
mschealthpsych
Rep:
?
Hey, not yet but don't have long to go (part-time student). Even so, applied for PhDs and such though and got good responses. RA less responsive, but I don't tend to go for RA roles because of lack of feedback in past. However, luckily, health psych is one of the roles that's predicted to grow relative to other medical professions/psychology.
I completed my MSc part time too!

That's really interesting what you've said about RA posts... do you suppose it is because they get a lot of applications?

Also, what sort of responses have you had from PhD's?

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it!
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I completed my MSc part time too!

That's really interesting what you've said about RA posts... do you suppose it is because they get a lot of applications?

Also, what sort of responses have you had from PhD's?

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it!
Lol cool haha.

Got good repsonses from PhD, I had a PhD offer from MMU-crewe but it was too far away from where I live so turned it down. I'm applying for one that takes my fancy right now, in disfigurement.

Yeah, I think lots of applications/competition for RA with few jobs (not saying there isn't for PhDs too don't get me wrong). But I think that with RA roles they *tend* to recruit someone with loads of experience of research (not uni dissertation-type research but proper paid research) so if you've never had a job as a researcher it's hard. There are exceptions e.g. if your lecturer really likes you he'll employ you as his RA for instance without prior experience. PhDs in my experience are less concerned with what you have done before so long as you have potential + alright grades.

I don't know your work background etc. so maybe you'd do well with RA applications, who knows! Also, you may want a career in research which is understandable why you'd go for RA jobs. Good luck!
mschealthpsych
Rep:
?
Lol cool haha.

Got good repsonses from PhD, I had a PhD offer from MMU-crewe but it was too far away from where I live so turned it down. I'm applying for one that takes my fancy right now, in disfigurement.

Yeah, I think lots of applications/competition for RA with few jobs (not saying there isn't for PhDs too don't get me wrong). But I think that with RA roles they *tend* to recruit someone with loads of experience of research (not uni dissertation-type research but proper paid research) so if you've never had a job as a researcher it's hard. There are exceptions e.g. if your lecturer really likes you he'll employ you as his RA for instance without prior experience. PhDs in my experience are less concerned with what you have done before so long as you have potential + alright grades.

I don't know your work background etc. so maybe you'd do well with RA applications, who knows! Also, you may want a career in research which is understandable why you'd go for RA jobs. Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the insight! That's incredibly useful insight.

I've actually adjacent to my part-time degree been working as a health psychology researcher on a local council project about respite care and quality of life (for free, they let me intern for experience). But as well as that I have a part time call centre job lol. From what you've told me it sounds like where I've been going wrong may be that I haven't been highlighting my intern experience/real world research experience enough and they're seeing call centre job alongside MSc health psych (part-time) and thinking me unsuitable.

Well done on that PhD offer! Can I also ask, was that PhD topic related to anything you'd done as your dissertation or anything you had any kind of prior academic experience in - or did they go on your proposal alone?
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, thanks for the insight! That's incredibly useful insight.

I've actually adjacent to my part-time degree been working as a health psychology researcher on a local council project about respite care and quality of life (for free, they let me intern for experience). But as well as that I have a part time call centre job lol. From what you've told me it sounds like where I've been going wrong may be that I haven't been highlighting my intern experience/real world research experience enough and they're seeing call centre job alongside MSc health psych (part-time) and thinking me unsuitable.

Well done on that PhD offer! Can I also ask, was that PhD topic related to anything you'd done as your dissertation or anything you had any kind of prior academic experience in - or did they go on your proposal alone?
Well that is good experience even if it was free, I would big that up

No it was a totally new topic, they went off my proposal alone. I hated my dissertation topic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.7%
No - but I will (53)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (363)
48.02%

Watched Threads