Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help if you can, my friend tried to buy a car on the Ebay, she sent money through Western Union because the seller wasn't using PayPal. She hasn't heard from the seller since she sent the money on friday and contacted Ebay Security today, they e-mailed her saying that the seller turned out a fake and that threy can't refund becuase Western Union is not part of Ebay (Paypal is) so the transaction was outside of Ebay. They said she can go to the police.

Has abyone been i n this situation?? Is thetre anything she can do? She is going to the police tomorrow. She's really upset please help if you can. No mean comments about buying a car off the internet, we are all genuinely upset here.

ReputationRep:
    Someone made a £900 purchase on Ebay, and didn't use PayPal?

Err, that's just stupid. Like really, really stupid.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    GOD when will people learn not to use direct wire transfers unless dealing with a trusted user...

ReputationRep:
    From a legal perspective, she will be able to pursue an action against the seller to claim her money back though obviously her greatest difficulty is finding the seller. Contact the police as soon as possible as they should be able to track down the seller. So long as the seller can be found, she can get the money back but it's not going to be a quick process.

ReputationRep:
    PayPal WASN'T an option, e-bay sent her an e-mail saying that she has to pay via Western Union:

Our seller use Western Union Service for the payment due the fact is not able to use Pay Pal as a method of payment for the moment.
    Payment must be sent by Western Union Money Transfer
    Next step to be taken: The buyer must send the payment to the seller.
    Please post helpful comments ONLY.

ReputationRep:
    That sucks... doesnt it say on Ebay not to use Western Union?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    PayPal WASN'T an option, e-bay sent her an e-mail saying that she has to pay via Western Union:

Please post helpful comments ONLY.
    If PayPal isn't an option, don't buy. And whilst the comment that "buying off ebay without using paypal is really stupid" might not be helpful to YOU, it is helpful to others reading the thread so that they know how to avoid getting into a similar situation.

The situation your friend's in now... all you can do is see what the police say. To be honest, it sounds like the person has done it before (£900 is a large purchase) and there is a distinct possibility that it'll be impossible to trace.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thats not good. Unlucky

Kidding dude get in contact with the police and the normal stuff

ReputationRep:
    lol, that was stupid.

Our seller use Western Union Service for the payment due the fact is not able to use Pay Pal as a method of payment for the moment.
    I bet you lots of money ebay didnt send that to your friend.

If you are going to buy a car then surely cash when you pick it up would be the obvious option for payment? :confused:

Have you got a link to the listing?

ReputationRep:
    The first e-mail which I quoted was sent from...

security-cente@ca-ebay.com

WTF obviously a fake now :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It was obviously fake anyway, since when has ca-ebay.com been a domain of ebay?!

The email wasnt even gramatically (sp?) correct and you wouldnt get ebay telling you that you HAVE to use western union.

Some people need to get educated before they are let lose on the net ...

ReputationRep:
    gosh, people that use western union suck

ReputationRep:
    I hope your friend gets her money back

xx

ReputationRep:
    I know my post isnt going to helpful so sorry about this but

Just look at that, firstly was this a message from ebay using the ebay message system?

Secondly, "Our seller use", "due the fact is not" doesnt make sense.

Thirdly, just looking at the sentence structure and the over use of "must" just makes lots of warning bells ring in my head.

Id have thought if your spending £900, you would be more careful with these things. Heck, even if this was from ebay in my ebay inbox with perfect english, id still be apprehensive.

Also remember, feedback can be decieving. Lots of respected seller accounts are stolen and used to steal peoples money. If you just go through ebay, especially for laptops or other expensive items that people but on ebay, the fakes are obvious. There are usually a ton of questions at the bottom about payment and delivery as well which are a dead giveaway.

And finally, if your buying a car, whats wrong with money on collection or delivery? Thats how i sold my car and i would never have expected someone to pay over £1k upfront not using paypal.

I hope everything turns out ok though.

ReputationRep:
    Western Union :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    Western Union :\
    Exactly, whats wrong with a good old fashioned cheque? Something the police can actually trace. All reputable sellers who dont offer payment through payapl due to fees, will always allow payment on collection or by cheque.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid person. If they don't use Paypal then you don't buy from them.

And yeah that definitely wasn't an ebay email. Its the vocabulary and command of English of a dyslexic five year old.

ReputationRep:
    I trade a lot on eBay, but never use anything but Paypal for large transactions, it is the safest possible way, as pretty much everyone else has said.

And of course, go to the police, that is about what is possible to do atm.

Though I've been receiving spoof emails from eBay-like adresses as well, and one has to learn to detect them, everything with anything but "@ebay.com" is to be raised suspicion against, at least that is my experience. eBay's customer service is otherwise pretty reasonable to have contact with, usually is helpful, but in this case I guess it is out of their control.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely nothing eBay can do. Your friend is 900 down, they better get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Beckett)
    Its the vocabulary and command of English of a dyslexic five year old.
    Now a £900 richer dyslexic 5 year old...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.