Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im wanting to do pharmacy at uni and its achievable for me to get into some uni with grades. The thing is my mum is like ''o if you do pharmacy you wont have any social status''. Hence shes set on this idea of sending me to prague to do dentistry/medicine. Now the thing is i cant really tell her i dont want to go or she will be like ok get out of my house. Its becoming a nightmare these days and im getting a bit stressed.

Sorry if all of this is a pointless rant but i think this is the only place where i can actually give my thoughts and get some response

ReputationRep:
    Not a pointless rant at all! Sounds like a pretty serious problem if you ask me. Pharmacy is known to be a really difficult degree!

Apply for what YOU want to do! Ad talk to you rum tactfully about it. She can't stop you applying after all an she.

Wish I could give some more constructive advice.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste 5 years doing a course you don't want to do!!
    My family all want me to be a medic but it's not what I want and i'm going for pharmacy. They soon realized it's not what I want and all they can do is accept it now.

ReputationRep:
    Point out that the Prague degree is NOT accredited by the GMC and therefore effectively USELESS, because its not respected. also unless you're fluent in Czech you're going to find it hard going.

Do what you want to do - its your life

Good Luck

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    Well no offence but your mother has no knowledge of what a pharmacist actully is. If you work hard in say a hospital you can earn a similar status to a doctor. If you do community pharmacy and have your own shop maybe, you will be respected in the community for what you do, people will know you- pharmacists are now becoming reputable for being able to speak to customers about minor medical related things- for example if someone
    complains of heartburn you would suggest gaviscon, but the pharmacist may ask other questions because it could be a stomach ulcer and therefore you could be known as sort of the local medical consultant in the future. If you choose to work in industry you could become well known for your research.

ReputationRep:
    yer its my point too but she seems to think all it means is i own a shop which has left me lost

ReputationRep:
    Well if you do a course that you're not comfortable with, then it's just a waste of time because you won't succeed. Even worse, dropping out during the course part way through...

ReputationRep:
    Show your mum this thread. Then she might understand.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a hospital pharmacist, its a major job but he loves it, but its so varied, like the others have said. you could do any type of pharmacy, from having a shop to chemotherapy. doctors couldnt be doctors without medicine after all, could they?

explain to your mum why you want to do it. and at the end of the day, she cant force you. its your life.

ReputationRep:
    as mentioned before you need to be fluent in the czech language in order to get clinical experience

the dropout rates are near 50%

eventhough on the website it says GMC accreditted it's not 'fully' accreditted

and i dont even think czech is a politically stable country!

ReputationRep:
    charles prague not accredited?

ReputationRep:
    well technically it is......but the clinical experience and education you get over there is not likely to be of the same standard as uk unis

i just wouldnt go there.....sounds too dodgy and risky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _GUESS_)
    well technically it is......but the clinical experience and education you get over there is not likely to be of the same standard as uk unis

thats my point, say if i got there for 3 years, and i cant learn the language and get booterd out thats my life gone, ive told my mum this and yet shes like o the language wont be a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _GUESS_)

Ditto, also I've heard that they're really hard on theory work, thus do less practical stuff...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt your mum would seriously kick you out of the house just because you want to do pharmacy instead of medicine! Try again to explain to her why you want to do pharmacy and the sort of things you could do with your degree when you graduate. Since she seems so obsessed with staus, the point about courses in Prague not being properly accredited might carry more weight. There's also the impracticalities like the language barrier. If all that doesn't work, it's obviously unfortunate, but she can't stop you applying and going where you want and for what you want. It's your life and you don't want to waste a lot of time and money being miserable doing a course you don't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    yer she seems stubborn, i didnt know it wasnt accredited? seems like more people are saying its not

ReputationRep:
    why dont u try applying to unis down ere......or havent you got the required grades

ReputationRep:
    na dont really want to med here and my grades arent med standard neway so im goin for pharm here. whats the drop out rate in prague like?

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your situation I'd be a tad dishonest. Write a pharmacy PS, apply to 5 places for pharmacy and one for medicine. Imply that you're applying for pharmacy in case you miss out on your medicine offers (as lots of people do). Hope she doesn't realise.

Or just miss the October 15th deadline...

ReputationRep:
    basically shes adviced me not to try to apply to med here because she doesnt think i can get an offer and shes very right. she thinks though i can get an offer in prague

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.