Should I buy a 15 plate private number plate? Watch

Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have found a private number plate which is due to be released in a few days. It's a current style (AB12 CDE) and spells out my first name.

I think it's a bargain as it's coming direct from the DVLA website. However it's a 15 plate so I can't put it on my car. So I was wondering, if I bought it, do you think I will be able to sell it on for a profit?

No one will be able to put it on their car unless they've bought a brand new one with a 15 plate already. However if I kept if for a year, then tried to sell it...

I think you have to pay £25 per year when it's not registered to a car, so I don't really want to buy it and not be able to sell it as I'll either have to pay £25 a year till it sells, or let it expire and lose what I paid.

Are current style plates quite profitable?
vimto39
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on the name. If it's a first name, and is one where there would be a large demand for it, then you could make a profit.

I wouldn't think you'd make a huge amount though in all honesty, as dateless plates are much more valuable and shorter in many cases.
Walkaah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also why can't I find a QPR number plate? D:

Edit: Just realised there aren't any Q's as they are to close to being O's
Plateseller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you manage to buy your private plate this morning Runninground? What was it?

I have some experience of plate selling and can tell you that it will reach its highest value in 4-5 years' time. Most people can't afford brand new cars, but are willing to spend a few thousand on a plate for their nearly-new car.

Some plates can reach crazy prices if you can find the person who really wants it, but you have to be prepared to hold onto them for years unless you're happy with flipping for a quick doubling of your money?

I managed to buy 3 of my top 4 targets for plates this morning, after finally managing to get into the DVLA website after about an hours' worth of refreshing:

AL15 CAR
WH15 KED

(I play a lot of poker so happy to keep these two for a long time)
RA15 EDU
RA15 EUP
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Plateseller)
Did you manage to buy your private plate this morning Runninground? What was it?

I have some experience of plate selling and can tell you that it will reach its highest value in 4-5 years' time. Most people can't afford brand new cars, but are willing to spend a few thousand on a plate for their nearly-new car.

Some plates can reach crazy prices if you can find the person who really wants it, but you have to be prepared to hold onto them for years unless you're happy with flipping for a quick doubling of your money?

I managed to buy 3 of my top 4 targets for plates this morning, after finally managing to get into the DVLA website after about an hours' worth of refreshing:

AL15 CAR
WH15 KED

RA15 EDU
RA15 EUP
Nah it's gone now. I forgot about it tbh but I was expecting it to go pretty quick!
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Walkaah)
Also why can't I find a QPR number plate? D:

Edit: Just realised there aren't any Q's as they are to close to being O's
Q plates are for cars where the age is unknown or has been extensively modified
Walkaah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
Q plates are for cars where the age is unknown or has been extensively modified
So you can't just buy a Q plate then, it has to be given to you? lol
shaymarriott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Walkaah)
So you can't just buy a Q plate then, it has to be given to you? lol
You can get one registered to a vehicle, provided it meets the requirements.
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wonder if you can get AP15SUP .......

TH15TLE

TR15TAN

WH15PER

WH15KEY
Emma:-)
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vimto39)
Depends on the name. If it's a first name, and is one where there would be a large demand for it, then you could make a profit.

I wouldn't think you'd make a huge amount though in all honesty, as dateless plates are much more valuable and shorter in many cases.
I agree
Plateseller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)
I wonder if you can get AP15SUP .......

TH15TLE

TR15TAN

WH15PER

WH15KEY
The DVLA are quite hot on banning offensive ones, so AP15 SUP probably never went on sale. If it did, the DVLA could still decide it's too rude at a later date and pull it!

WH15KEY, WH15PER, TR15TAN and TH15TLE are all going to be auctioned by the DVLA (they keep these really good ones back). They will all go for between £15k-50k, I think.
Brillo9595
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi plate seller.

Maybe interested in al15 car. Are you looking to sell and if so how much ? Thanks.
Brillo9595
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi not sure if my previous post worked. Are you looking to sell al15car. ? Many thanks

UOTE=Plateseller;52030753]Did you manage to buy your private plate this morning Runninground? What was it?

AL15 CAR
WH15 KED

RA15 EDU
RA15 EUP[/QUOTE]
Edminzodo
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Investment is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mealic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Be interested to see what you think AL15 CAR would be valued at as I looked for it too in December.What did it go for? Bought AL15VAN though.

Alistair
Plateseller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mealic)
Be interested to see what you think AL15 CAR would be valued at as I looked for it too in December.What did it go for? Bought AL15VAN though.

Alistair
Private message sent!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads