Help with f'(X) Watch

kaaatiiie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, I have been given a past exam paper and I cant remember how to/ what f'(x) means, can anyone explain it please?
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kaaatiiie)
Hey, I have been given a past exam paper and I cant remember how to/ what f'(x) means, can anyone explain it please?
Differentiate the function.
kaaatiiie
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Differentiate the function.
Thanks
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It means that you should create the first derivation of a function by differentiating the term to determine the extreme values.
kaaatiiie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
It means that you should create the first derivation of a function by differentiating the term to determine the extreme values.
Okay, Thanks

Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, Thanks

You are welcome! the number of the 'apostrophes' above the function is the number of differentiations/derivations.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, f'(x) simply means differentiate f(x) with respect to x.

The bit in bold is just one possible application of differentiation, but it's not implied by the notation!
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are welcome! the number of the 'apostrophes' above the function is the number of differentiations/derivations.
I always assumed they were Roman numerals? That would make more sense for higher derivatives, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
I always assumed they were Roman numerals? That would make more sense for higher derivatives, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I think they're just dashes.
After f'' people often just write f^{(3)} etc. But like make sure the number is in brackets so you don't confuse it with taking powers of f!
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by davros)
No, f'(x) simply means differentiate f(x) with respect to x.

The bit in bold is just one possible application of differentiation, but it's not implied by the notation!
Fair enough. I just wanted to explain the sense in analysis, sorry if I was not clear enough or too far in my explanation. Of course a function can be differentiated without a purpose.

(Original post by Manitude)
Yes, its right that Roman numerals are used in higher derivatives. But I have learnt to use the 'apostrophes' by the first three derivations. As I did not more than this number of derivations in analysis, I have never used Roman numerals.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, its right that Roman numerals are used in higher derivatives. But I have learnt to use the 'apostrophes' by the first three derivations. As I did not more than this number of derivations in analysis, I have never used Roman numerals.
This seems interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notatio...e.27s_notation

I've never heard of using Roman numerals before now!
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This seems interesting:

Its interesting indeed, I don't know that there are so many different spellings for differentiations. I am used to write in Lagrange.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough, I always refer to them as dashes anyway and also haven't used more than three derivations when writing functions like this. I'd personally be tempted to swap to df/dx notation for higher order derivatives though I imagine some people might take issue with that lack of consistency but I am not a mathematician so I can butcher notation with a clear conscience
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This seems interesting:

Interesting - I've used all of those except Euler's notation before. I also didn't realise these notations even had names! Newton's notation is used quite a lot in physics and the section on vector calculus brought back bitter-sweet memories of second year mathematics and third year fluid physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed