Organic Chemistry - Reaction Mechanism help needed Watch

paramountor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When drawing a reaction mechanism, one can simply, say, a benzyl group to R.

How would you show R in the key though? Do you use a wavy arrow to show where the R connects to the rest of the molecule?

Please look at the attachment. Am I correct?

Thank you
Attached files
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CH2CHO2H? Surely this should be CH2CO2H for the acetic acid. As for your question, what exactly do you mean by "Key". You can show reaction mechanisms with Benzyl groups abbreviated to R provided R doesn't take part in the reaction. If any part of R is mechanistically involved, then you have to draw the full structure since the functional group contained in R that reacts takes part in electron transfer, not the whole of R.
paramountor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Protoxylic)
CH2CHO2H? Surely this should be CH2CO2H for the acetic acid. As for your question, what exactly do you mean by "Key". You can show reaction mechanisms with Benzyl groups abbreviated to R provided R doesn't take part in the reaction. If any part of R is mechanistically involved, then you have to draw the full structure since the functional group contained in R that reacts takes part in electron transfer, not the whole of R.
Please check the attachment.

Do I need to include the part where I have R = and then the structure? Or should I just leave the mechanism as it is without showing what R represents?

And yes I meant Ch2CO2H. Thanks!
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really depends on what you're drawing the mechanism for. If it is for an A-Level exam, typically no. It isn't really needed unless R important in the rest of the synthesis or at any part of the synthesis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (285)
37.75%
No - but I will (53)
7.02%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.28%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
47.95%

Watched Threads