This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok, I've been listening to amazing trade and am trying to convert studential.com to pure CSS but have been running into a few problems because the layout is very complex.

The page is at http://www.studential.com/css.asp and the original is http://www.studential.com

The bugs are

• The location bar filling the whole width in IE and leaving a gap between the image next to it
  • The footer only being at the bottom of the main column and not the bottom of the longest one
  • The links on the nav bar at the top starting from just past the image above it and not front the start of the bar

Any other general CSS layout pointers would be useful too

Cheers

Tom
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just had a quick glance at your code it seems fine, you may want to have the CSS as an include file though incase need to update ( I am guessing you may have done this an ASP function)

The code seems fine, I haven't studied it the code properly but I find that CSS is very tempromental as its quite a new thing. You've used divs and the CSS properties you have used I.E 5x supports. Just have another play with the padding and margin settings to see if you can get it look better.
loftx
Rep:
?
It's just in the file to make it easier to edit when testing it. I'm not sure things like padding are going to fix it though, ive tried a few things and nothing seems to work. Browser support for CSS seems very poor so I may just go back to plain old tables.
lotLAN
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just out of intrest did u code the CSS version from scratch or did u use some sort of editor?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you use the standard CSS tags then it works will all browsers form I.E 4.0. At work we use a notnav4.css file which has very basic padding margin settings. However you've only appeared to use them.

The BBC site is done by pure CSS now so I've been told. Its just a matter of practise,I had to make a a animated presentation in CSS which looked like powerpoint, it was a bloody nightmare but the results in the end were worth it.
loftx
Rep:
?
(Original post by lotLAN)
Just out of intrest did u code the CSS version from scratch or did u use some sort of editor?
All done by hand, I normally use dreamweaver but only have version 4 which dosn't really handle css layouts very well.
lotLAN
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
All done by hand, I normally use dreamweaver but only have version 4 which dosn't really handle css layouts very well.
Impressive, how do u find using asp. i am strictly a php programmer myself i spose its the whole anti microsoft thing
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've done fairly intemediate things with both ASP and PHP

www.robertson-i.co.uk/shop - ASP
www.robertson-i.co.uk/auction - PHP

I personaly much prefer PHP, the language is just so much nicer, as I am do C++ and Java programming in university, PHP seems so much simpler as its uses very similar syntax I also love being able to write SQL statements like this:

$query = "SELECT * FROM AuctionItems WHERE AuctionNum='$item'";

where is an in asp it would be

query = "SELECT * FROM AuctionItems WHERE AuctionNum='"&item&"'";

which is quite a bit more complex if its a large statement.

Also PHP has far more functions for it.

ASP is much more friendly with regards to where you can use session variables and response redirects though.
lotLAN
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have similar thought, i really like PHP i think it is very easy to learn and understand. it just seems to make more sense than ASP
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lotLAN)
i have similar thought, i really like PHP i think it is very easy to learn and understand. it just seems to make more sense than ASP
I think they both have pros and cons

ASP

Pros- VB like syntax so the code is easy to understand, easily used with Access databases which makes it easier beginers

Cons - Hosting more expensive, requires a Microsoft server (usualy) code gets messy and tedius with larger projects

PHP

Pros - Cheap (open sourcr) very nice to work with in larger projects, loads of functions, MySQL friendly and easy to make logical code. Some Object Orientation support.

Cons - Some people may find the language a bit hard to grasp if they have no prevous coding experience. Some say ASP is more secure than PHP.
loftx
Rep:
?
I was bought up on ASP, so that's what I program in I have tried learing PHP, but seeing as my host dos'nt support it it's a bit pointless.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I was bought up on ASP, so that's what I program in I have tried learing PHP, but seeing as my host dos'nt support it it's a bit pointless.
Unless you have a host that runs a Windows 2003 server then you can't have both of them. However because my hosting company using Win2003 both ASP and PHP work. Its apparantly quite expensive though.

In the real world PHP is used because it works out quite a lot cheaper than ASP.
loftx
Rep:
?
Actually I tell a lie, it does have PHP but you have to pay extra for mysql so is a bit useless really.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Actually I tell a lie, it does have PHP but you have to pay extra for mysql so is a bit useless really.
You must have win2003 server then. There is only any point on learning PHP if you want to be a web developer. Your ASP site works fine so there is no point on having it in php.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (103)
48.58%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.62%
Change uni choice through clearing (52)
24.53%
Apply to uni next year instead (20)
9.43%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.83%

Watched Threads