5 AS Levels?! Watch

emilywar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm a Y11 GCSE student, who's predicted to get 9A*s and 3As at GCSE. I desperately want to go to Oxford (and always have done) but I am stuck between studying Medicine and Languages (French and German). Medicine seems fascinating, and Chemistry has been my favorite subject for quite some time, however i am not naive, and know that this course is famously hard to get on to. Therefore, I am unsure whether this is entirely realistic, seeing as I go to a normal school in the middle of nowhere! Languages, on the other hand, are something I am much more naturally gifted at, but I'm more worried about the job security and prospects after leaving Uni, and they aren't really my passion. Because of this dilemma, I have 5 AS levels that I have been trying to choose between for quite some time. In order to keep my options relatively open (in terms of being able to study Medicine or Languages if I so decide) I have, so far, chosen A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and German. So, my question is this: would I be able to take to 5 AS levels and come out with decent results (at least As) or do I need to decide between the Uni courses more quickly, in order to narrow it down to 4 ASs and secure good grades?
Thanks!
tcameron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are some great options and it is very possible to do 5 A-levels, which is what I'm currently doing and planning on going into Medicine.
Good to keep your options open in case you don't get into Medicine. Good luck
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people can handle 5+ AS levels with ease, others struggle. It's difficult to know how you will cope until you start in Year 12.

However, you could drop Maths from your options and still be able to go to Medicine or Languages - it's Cambridge that you need Maths for, I believe.
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilywar)
I'm a Y11 GCSE student, who's predicted to get 9A*s and 3As at GCSE. I desperately want to go to Oxford (and always have done) but I am stuck between studying Medicine and Languages (French and German). Medicine seems fascinating, and Chemistry has been my favorite subject for quite some time, however i am not naive, and know that this course is famously hard to get on to. Therefore, I am unsure whether this is entirely realistic, seeing as I go to a normal school in the middle of nowhere! Languages, on the other hand, are something I am much more naturally gifted at, but I'm more worried about the job security and prospects after leaving Uni, and they aren't really my passion. Because of this dilemma, I have 5 AS levels that I have been trying to choose between for quite some time. In order to keep my options relatively open (in terms of being able to study Medicine or Languages if I so decide) I have, so far, chosen A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and German. So, my question is this: would I be able to take to 5 AS levels and come out with decent results (at least As) or do I need to decide between the Uni courses more quickly, in order to narrow it down to 4 ASs and secure good grades?
Thanks!
I think it depends on the person and capability. I have never heard of a person getting straight 5 A grades at A level in one go so i think you should stick to four which is what people tend to do. You do not want to be stressful because of 5 A levels. Looking at uni courses as this time is beneficial as sooner or later you will be doing your personal statement and applying.
Lilyghz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) medicine and languages are two very different course choices. It's not always wise to apply for the course you'll excel in but are not passionate about. If you're more passionate about medicine and pure science you can still apply because it's not like you have zero chances of getting accepted into medical school, plus if your interest is in the sciences you can still do so because if I'm not wrong, medicine applicants apply to 4 unis for medicine and 1 for another science branch, like neuroscience or something, so if that appeals to you and if you feel hopeful it might be a better decision to take.

2) it's not a bad idea to keep your options open when choosing a-levels, but keep in mind that 5 a-levels is not always the best idea and that that your ability to cope depends on how well you can handle your workloads and stress. If you decide to do this, make sure you're prepared to stay commit yourself to everything that comes with your decision. Plus if it ever gets a bit much for you or if you ever feel you're not enjoying a subject you can always drop it, there's no issue at all.

3) while it's good to have an idea of what course you'd like to do at uni, there is no pressure for you to make a firm decision and set it in stone now. My best friend started a-levels wanting to do medicine so she took history, French, bio and chem and then at the start of A2 decided that she doesn't want to be a doctor after all, so she decided that she was more passionate in history and Russian so that's what she has applied for after dropping both sciences and decided to do 2 years of politics in one. Plus, she now has an interview lined up with Oxford. She always says how she should've kept her options open when choosing her a-levels because it just created unnecessary stress for her when she was dropping and picking up subjects.

Imsophie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilywar)
Thanks!
That sounds like a good combo However, most medical schools are still open if you only take 2 maths/science a-levels so you could take just Biology and Chemistry and then French+German. If you put the effort in you can get the good grades. My sisters boyfriend did 5 alevels and achieved 5a*s and he took really hard ones like Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and English Literature, and he got in a good university because he put the effort in good luck
CaptainDJJoe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do 5 AS and so far it hasn't been a problem. The work load isn't huge like people say. But, this is only because you are used to it. If I did happen to drop one of my options, I would have at least 4 if not more extra hours free a week. I would say it is possible someone at my school got 5 As last year. Don't be put off with low grades at the start as they are always lower than you thought they would be. This is because at A Level they don't do the lower grade teaching then followed by the higher grade like they did at GCSE. Instead, they teach you a topic and it's your understanding of that topic which decides whether you can get a good grade in it or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise