Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started year 12 in september and am currently doing AS maths for Edexcel.
    I absolutely dread going to every maths lesson because I feel like I am going to fail no matter how hard I try.
    My maths teacher gives us class tests every two weeks and so far my highest grade has been a D, I need an A in maths to do Physics at any university. (I'm getting A's in Physics regularly).
    What should I do to improve or increase my chances of passing (at least)?
    I already have a maths tutor and am doing practice questions for homework, the whole situation is really stressing me out. When I don't understand something I feel incredibly stupid. I often have to ask for help with my homework because I can't do it alone. This isn't the case for any of my other subjects.
    I only got an A at GCSE.
    Is anyone else doing AS Maths and feeling the same way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damonsalvatore)
    I absolutely dread going to every maths lesson because I feel like I am going to fail no matter how hard I try.
    My maths teacher gives us class tests every two weeks and so far my highest grade has been a D, I need an A in maths to do Physics at any university. (I'm getting A's in Physics regularly).
    I already have a maths tutor and am doing practice questions for homework, the whole situation is really stressing me out. When I don't understand something I feel incredibly stupid. I often have to ask for help with my homework because I can't do it alone. This isn't the case for any of my other subjects.
    I only got an A at GCSE.

No, you aren't going to fail.

You have plenty of time:
    1) speak to your teacher/review your work to see which areas you need to focus on.
    2) go on www.examsolutions.net and work through the sections thoroughly, try some of the past papers with him (so you get to work like him- same thought process etc.)
    3) if you feel confident try solomon papers on www.xtremepapers.com

Good luck!! If you need specific help pm me

ReputationRep:
    I only got an A at GCSE.
    i think that your negative perception of the subject is affecting your results. If you're getting A's in physics and you got an A in gcse maths then you are capable of being successful in Maths AS. Since it looks like your hardest subject is maths, try to organise an hour of revision every other day for maths. Before doing this revision make sure you are relaxed not starting after finishing any other revision. Force your self to think you CAN do it and look at the positive side of the situation. It's a challenge ! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I only got an A at GCSE.
    Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

ReputationRep:
    C1 spec :

Surds:
    You must know how to simplify, combine and rationalise a denominator (application of difference of 2 squares - see quadratics)

Indices:
    You need to know laws of indices

Quadratics:
    Expand & simplify
    Factorise
    Complete the square
    solve a quadratic equation using any/all of the above methods AND by using formula (be able to derive the formula)
    sketch a quadratic (parabola) giving the axes intercepts and the apex (turning point)
    find and apply knowledge of discriminant
    Apply knowledge of solving to find solutions to simultaneous equations
    Apply knowledge/understanding of differences of 2 squares to solve problems

Transformations:
    Know how a graph/curve can be transformed by arrangements of f(x+a), f(ax), f(x) + a, af(x) & apply this to solve problems
    Link the transformation understanding to quadratics and completing the square format

Differentiation & Integration:
    Find and use derivative of a function to find the gradient of a curve at a given point & also be able to integrate a given function

Linear Algebra:
    know how to interpret graphs of the form y=mx+c
    find equations of lines which are parallel and/or perpendicular to a given line
    use
    y-y1 = m(x-x1) to find equation of a line through a point, or through 2 given points
    find midpoint of given coords
    find distance between given coords
    find gradient of line passing through given coords

Arithmetic Sequences
    Be able to find any term in sequence
    Find terms and sums of terms from a sequence given a term-to-term rule
    find sums of sequences
    know, use and apply 3 formulae to solve problems

& that's it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
    Winners know the difference between "too", "to" and "two"

ReputationRep:
    A-level Maths can be a shock to te system, more so than other subjects imo.
    It's still early in the year, so don't let class tests be a complete measure of your whole year ability.
    Maths papers are more or less unique in that almost every paper is the same, only sometimes with different wording.

Once you feel confident, try to complete a maths paper. The first time I tried this, I cried by the time I hit Section B as I was so frustrated. The trick is to take it in little bits at a time, take two/three days on a single paper.
    Once you're done, revise each mark that you got wrong and start over. It will get easier, I promise.

Practice is the key, second only to perseverance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by begbie68)
    Winners know the difference between "too", "to" and "two"
    Yes of course but that does not matter as i was stating something encouraging. Also if people can understand me then i do not see why that is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    At the start of Y12 my marks in tests were often at the B/C grade. Ended up doing significantly better than that (high A*) so don't give up. Just make sure you understand every technique in maths and don't just learn how to solve the questions, make sure you know how it works. It's the only way to get high marks.

ReputationRep:
    What is the main reason why you aren't doing well in class exams? If it is due to lack of understanding then you just need to go over the content you don't understand and then do questions. You have more than enough time to get the A you want and need so don't worry too much. Just make sure you focus a lot in class and do a lot of practice

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I felt like that but then my teacher would go through questions with me to help me understand what is was asking me to do and I got much better do you fully understand what the question wants you to do? Or do you struggle with the actual maths?
    Both just need a lot of practise and some support from someone who can go through questions with you slowly.

Try not to think about it negatively, try to find a positive in this, like if you struggle on a topic but then understand it then be proud of that! Even if it is just one topic, it is better than you were before
    Good luck!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.