Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Semi Final 1 -19th May 2015

Semi Final 2 - 21st May 2015

GRAND FINAL - 23rd May 2015

We have a winner...

SWEDEN

Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes

See you all next year in Sweden!

Thanks to Conchita Wurst and her song 'Rise Like a Phoenix', Austria is the host country of the 60th Eurovision Song Contest

Attached files
ManicPumpkin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Participants

ALBANIA: Elhaida Dani – I'm Alive
ARMENIA:
Genealogy - Face the Shadows
AUSTRALIA: Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again

AUSTRIA:
The Makemakes - I Am Yours
AZERBAIJAN:
Elnur Huseynov - Hour Of The Wolf
BELARUS:
Uzari & Maimuna – Time
BELGIUM:
Loic Nottet - Rhythm Inside
CYPRUS:
John Karayiannis - One Thing I Should Have Done
CZECH REPUBLIC:
Marta Jandová and Václav Noid Bárta - Hope Never Dies
DENMARK:
Anti-Social Media - The Way You Are
ESTONIA:
Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
F.Y.R MACEDONIA: Daniel Kajmakoski - Autumn Leaves

FINLAND:
Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Aina mun pitää
FRANCE:
Lisa Angell - N'oubliez pas
GEORGIA: Nina Sublatti – Warrior
GERMANY:
Ann Sophie - Black Smoke
GREECE:
Maria-Elena Kiriakou - One Last Breath
HUNGARY:
Boggie - Wars for Nothing
ICELAND:
María Ólafsdóttir - Unbroken
IRELAND:
Molly Sterling - Playing With Numbers
ISRAEL:
Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy
ITALY:
Il Volo - Grande Amore
LATVIA:
Aminata Savadago - Love Injected
LITHUANIA:
Vaidas Baumila & Monika Linkyte - This Time
MALTA:
Amber – Warrior
MOLDOVA:
Eduard Romanyuta - I Want Your Love
MONTENEGRO:
Knez - Adio
THE NETHERLANDS:
Trijntje Oosterhuis – Walk Along
NORWAY:
Mørland and Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me
POLAND:
Monika Kuszynska - In The Name Of Love
PORTUGAL:
Leonor Andrade - Há um Mar que nos Separa
ROMANIA:
Voltaj - De la capat
RUSSIA:
Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices
SAN MARINO:
Michele Perniola & Anita Simoncini - Chain of Lights
SERBIA:
Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies
SLOVENIA:
Maraaya - Here For You
SPAIN:
Edurne – Amanecer
SWEDEN:
Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes
SWITZERLAND:
Mélanie René - Time to Shine
UNITED KINGDOM:
Electric Velvet - Still in Love With You

Important Dates

MAY

17th – EUROVISION: Official Opening Ceremony

19th – EUROVISION: Semi Final 1

21st – EUROVISION: Semi Final 2

23rd – EUROVISION: GRAND FINAL

ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
You think it may be too early for the traditional Eurovision thread to be brought out but 2 countries have already chosen their songs for Vienna and 4 have chosen their artists!

FYR MACEDONIA are sending Daniel Kajmakoski with the song "Lisja esenski"

MALTA held their national final and the public chose "Warrior" by Amber

SAN MARINO are sending Michele Perniola and Anita Simoncini. Perniola recently represented San Marino at the 2014 Junior Eurovision Song Contest in Malta as part of the group The Peppermints. Simoncini has also sang for San Marino in the 2013 Junior Eurovision Contest.

Loïc Nottet, who came second in The Voice Belgique 2014, will represent BELGIUM.

MONTENEGRO will be represented by Knez

THE NETHERLANDS have opted for another internal selection and have chosen Trijntje Oosterhuis to fly the Dutch flag in Austria next May

There are National Finals from Belarus and Albania in late December. Keep checking the Important Dates post above this post as it will be updated with… important dates
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah finally! I've missed this thread Can't wait for the action to pick up towards the New Year!

So far I must say I'm really impressed with the Maltese song, I normally find their entries average-->bad but I am really enjoying Warrior, and if they are going to spend time improving it as they claim (hence the early national selection) I will be very excited for the final product. Seems Malta agrees with me given the song apparently for a perfect score in the national final!

I'm also really excited for the Netherlands, since it is a song by Anouk (who I loved) which is going to be used, and apparently she is taking charge of the staging for the song on the night as well. Might be Netherlands 3rd time a row in the top 10. Although Anouk herself is very pessimistic in interviews as per normal -.-
Snufkin
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bloody hell, this is a bit early. I hope it is better than last year, everything about Eurovision 2014 was a disappointment.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Genesis2703)
So far I must say I'm really impressed with the Maltese song, I normally find their entries average-->bad but I am really enjoying Warrior, and if they are going to spend time improving it as they claim (hence the early national selection) I will be very excited for the final product. Seems Malta agrees with me given the song apparently for a perfect score in the national final!
I am looking forward to hearing the finished Maltese song! All the other songs in their national final were a bit meh

(Original post by Snufkin)
Bloody hell, this is a bit early. I hope it is better than last year, everything about Eurovision 2014 was a disappointment.
Eurovision 2014 actually exceeded my expectations song-wise
mikec47
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Must say that I did find the quality last year rather poor. Was gutted when The Netherlands lost out, especially as I feel in different circumstances, we'd have been in Amsterdam next year.

It's been a quick 6 months! It's always a good laugh though, no matter how badly the UK does!
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ManicPumpkin)
I am looking forward to hearing the finished Maltese song! All the other songs in their national final were a bit meh

Eurovision 2014 actually exceeded my expectations song-wise
The other Maltese song I really liked was Rush by Christabelle, it is extremely catchy, but in the good sense (although some of the lyrics were very cringy). It came 2nd in the National Final. I do love it when other countries agree with me!

2014 I found was quite a meh year in terms of studio versions, but several songs I really grew attached to when i saw the Semis, namely Netherlands and Austria (which ended up doing amazingly aha). Still was hoping for a Swedish win, I can't get a win for who I want even when they are favourites it seems! Have to go back to 2007 for my favourite to win -.-

I have a feeling that I'm becoming more critical of the songs due to age rather than because of actual quality decrease! The main thing I loved about 2014 was the lack of joke entries, several of my friends were sad about it. But personally I was happy to see a contest where most countries at least looked like they were trying
Bionic_Fighter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did Anouk say?

Btw:

MACEDONIA will be represented by Knez --> should be MONTENEGRO !!

I'm really curious to see Austria's organisation, since they don't really care much about Eurovision. I hope the quality of the songs to be high, no more joke entries please.

I'm already supporting the Netherlands!!
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bionic_Fighter)
Btw:

Just testing you...
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did Anouk say?

Btw:

The fact I didn't notice the error myself is bad!

The main things Anouk said about the 2015 song in an interview on "RTL Late Night" were:

“Trijntje visited me at home and said she wanted to participate in Eurovision. If I was in her place, I would not do it. It will be very difficult now to get first or second place. But Trijntje was okay with that and just wants to have a great time just like I had at Eurovision. She asked me if I had a song for her. I had nothing, so she wanted to look around in my computer. I let her and after plowing through my music, she found a great catchy song. I would have released it myself one day, if Trijntje wasn’t using it for ESC”.

“I told her she needs to sing the song exactly the way I want it. She sings beautifully, but with a lot of soul. I want to take the soul out. A little bit more straight without all the musical ornamentation and decoration. The same evening I booked a a great hotel for myself and Trijntje in Vienna. With a spa and good relaxation facilities. And I am looking forward to it. I want to be there for the first rehearsal in Vienna, to advise about lighting, staging, sound and so on. I also had a team with me in ESC, just to have someone to look and listen along.”

Anouk's pessimism about how well the Netherlands will do is common place, her opinions on Trintje's singing is weird though especially as they are good friends!

This also basically confirms the song will be an uptempo number (as it is catchy apparently), which would be vastly different from the last two songs that the country has had so much success with (and do note the horrible results Netherlands had in the 2004-2012 era).
Bionic_Fighter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The fact I didn't notice the error myself is bad!

The main things Anouk said about the 2015 song in an interview on "RTL Late Night" were:

“Trijntje visited me at home and said she wanted to participate in Eurovision. If I was in her place, I would not do it. It will be very difficult now to get first or second place. But Trijntje was okay with that and just wants to have a great time just like I had at Eurovision. She asked me if I had a song for her. I had nothing, so she wanted to look around in my computer. I let her and after plowing through my music, she found a great catchy song. I would have released it myself one day, if Trijntje wasn’t using it for ESC”.

“I told her she needs to sing the song exactly the way I want it. She sings beautifully, but with a lot of soul. I want to take the soul out. A little bit more straight without all the musical ornamentation and decoration. The same evening I booked a a great hotel for myself and Trijntje in Vienna. With a spa and good relaxation facilities. And I am looking forward to it. I want to be there for the first rehearsal in Vienna, to advise about lighting, staging, sound and so on. I also had a team with me in ESC, just to have someone to look and listen along.”

Anouk's pessimism about how well the Netherlands will do is common place, her opinions on Trintje's singing is weird though especially as they are good friends!

This also basically confirms the song will be an uptempo number (as it is catchy apparently), which would be vastly different from the last two songs that the country has had so much success with (and do note the horrible results Netherlands had in the 2004-2012 era).

Thank you very much! So it wasn't Anouk the one who wanted to send a song for Eurovision??

Anouk is right, it is extremely difficult to outdo last year's monster success so it's a risk for Trintje.

and LOL at Anouk booking a hotel immediately. It's as if she knew the Dutch broadcaster wouldn't say no to her proposal!

I don't know how valuable Anouk's advice for staging and lighting will be considering she didn't give a damn about her stage performance back in Eurovision 2013.

I wanted so much to see Caro Emerald doing Eurovision!
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very much! So it wasn't Anouk the one who wanted to send a song for Eurovision??

Anouk is right, it is extremely difficult to outdo last year's monster success so it's a risk for Trintje.

and LOL at Anouk booking a hotel immediately. It's as if she knew the Dutch broadcaster wouldn't say no to her proposal!

I don't know how valuable Anouk's advice for staging and lighting will be considering she didn't give a damn about her stage performance back in Eurovision 2013.

I wanted so much to see Caro Emerald doing Eurovision!
Nah, Anouk has been bashing Eurovision for a decent while anyway, so I knew she wouldn't want to go again! To be honest I don't know how risky it is for Trinje, it's not like most of the public actually remembers who sent what last year, so without prompting most people will have forgotten the Dutch success :P

I thought Anouk put a lot of thought into her stage performance, she insisted on singing solely on the "mini-stage" attached to the main one for atmospheric reasons, and i thought the background imagery was very pretty. It wasn't lively at all but for a song like Birds it is meant to be more on the dark side tbh.

I was hoping for Caro Emerald, Lisa Lois or Within Temptation tbh, sad for Within Temptation as they have explicitly said that they haven't done it yet simply because the broadcaster hasn't asked them. And I really like them
Bionic_Fighter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nah, Anouk has been bashing Eurovision for a decent while anyway, so I knew she wouldn't want to go again! To be honest I don't know how risky it is for Trinje, it's not like most of the public actually remembers who sent what last year, so without prompting most people will have forgotten the Dutch success :P

I thought Anouk put a lot of thought into her stage performance, she insisted on singing solely on the "mini-stage" attached to the main one for atmospheric reasons, and i thought the background imagery was very pretty. It wasn't lively at all but for a song like Birds it is meant to be more on the dark side tbh.

I was hoping for Caro Emerald, Lisa Lois or Within Temptation tbh, sad for Within Temptation as they have explicitly said that they haven't done it yet simply because the broadcaster hasn't asked them. And I really like them
Anouk has been bashing Eurovision? Why? Perhaps she was a little bit jealous that her rival got the second place in this year's show right a year after her participation. Yes, she wouldn't do it again but she wanted her backing vocalist to represent Netherlands (she claimed that after Eurovision 2013).

It is kinda risky for Trintje because people are still aware of The Common Linnets and their almost victory, their music is still doing great on charts and media will remind everyone in the following months. However a Top 10 result for Trintje won't be considered as failure.

Anouk's performance in Malmo was boring. I love her song and voted for her but i do understand why people thought it was extremely boring. Plus, she was smiling all the time and closing her eyes, didn't show any emotions at all. The background was beautiful but it wasn't enough. Perhaps in a big stage it would have looked amazing (see Copenhagen 2014).

So Within Temptation want to do Eurovision? :eek:

I wonder what Caro thinks. She's enjoying success in her home country of course and also UK and maybe Germany but i do believe that Eurovision would've given her a wider audience. Her music is so catchy and high-quality, she wouldn't flop.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
News: The Netherlands will present their song on the 11th December! More details here
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anouk has been bashing Eurovision? Why? Perhaps she was a little bit jealous that her rival got the second place in this year's show right a year after her participation. Yes, she wouldn't do it again but she wanted her backing vocalist to represent Netherlands (she claimed that after Eurovision 2013).

It is kinda risky for Trintje because people are still aware of The Common Linnets and their almost victory, their music is still doing great on charts and media will remind everyone in the following months. However a Top 10 result for Trintje won't be considered as failure.

Anouk's performance in Malmo was boring. I love her song and voted for her but i do understand why people thought it was extremely boring. Plus, she was smiling all the time and closing her eyes, didn't show any emotions at all. The background was beautiful but it wasn't enough. Perhaps in a big stage it would have looked amazing (see Copenhagen 2014).

So Within Temptation want to do Eurovision? :eek:

I wonder what Caro thinks. She's enjoying success in her home country of course and also UK and maybe Germany but i do believe that Eurovision would've given her a wider audience. Her music is so catchy and high-quality, she wouldn't flop.
Anouk is of course not happy with how well The Common Linnets did, especially as she was saying up to the contest that they would flop aha!

Yeah, I really loved Anouk's song, I personally preferred it to Calm After the Storm although both were excellent. Anouk's song was very love/hate though, I don't find such songs boring anyway, but loads of others do.

Within Temptation haven't said they wanted to as such, but they have definitely said that they don't don't want to (if a double negative makes sense here ). Caro is probably a bit too happy at the moment to want to do Eurovision sadly!

News: The Netherlands will present their song on the 11th December! More details here
I'm very excited about this, if they are releasing the song so early they must be confident it is good. Otherwise there would be no point, the past two years they left it fairly late anyway. So the song must already be fully developed as such. I would love the Netherlands to get another top 10 though so I do hope the song is good

The 15 songs for the final in Belarus have been announced (source: http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/12/05/bel...evealed/68712/ ) the big "highlight" of it seems to be that there is a girl group called MILKI which has Alexander Rybak as their songwriter (maybe even manager of sorts). So yeah in many peoples minds they seem to think they have already won the national final, as who would turn down a song written by the current high-score eurovision record holder

I guess for this "genre" of song it isn't too bad, and also considering I virtually always hate the Belarus entry I cannot moan too much either, you'd think Rybak could've done a bit better though. The question is will they become the act for Belarus as easily as people seem to think :rolleyes:

EDIT: Serbia are selecting their "non-famous" singer for their national final on the 14th of December
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
The 15 songs for the final in Belarus have been announced (source: http://wiwibloggs.com/2014/12/05/bel...evealed/68712/ ) the big "highlight" of it seems to be that there is a girl group called MILKI which has Alexander Rybak as their songwriter (maybe even manager of sorts). So yeah in many peoples minds they seem to think they have already won the national final, as who would turn down a song written by the current high-score eurovision record holder
Oh good, I love fiddle boy...
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
The Netherlands unveiled their song this morning. It's called "Walk Along".

On first listen, I quite like it! However compared to their last 2 attempts it feels distinctly average
Genesis2703
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Netherlands unveiled their song this morning. It's called "Walk Along".

On first listen, I quite like it! However compared to their last 2 attempts it feels distinctly average
The chorus is a let down, and it is far too repetitve. This is sad since I really like the general sound of the song, I was grabbed in the first few seconds but it didn't really last.

I hear the same people who organised their staging this year are going to be helping out again next year, so maybe the staging will make this song do well. I doubt they'll get another top 10 though unless the quality is very bad next year.
ManicPumpkin
Rep:
?
The chorus is a let down, and it is far too repetitve. This is sad since I really like the general sound of the song, I was grabbed in the first few seconds but it didn't really last.

I hear the same people who organised their staging this year are going to be helping out again next year, so maybe the staging will make this song do well. I doubt they'll get another top 10 though unless the quality is very bad next year.
I fear it could get lost in the semi-final if it's between two strong songs. I guess we shall just need to see the song quality of the contest before we make any judgements!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads