Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've been in a lecture or seminar where feminism or supposed oppression of females hasn't been brought up.

Quite annoying. Especially when it's a female lecturer lecturing us on how females can't get in jobs of power or high up jobs. Quite ironic too, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sixty7)
    I don't think I've been in a lecture or seminar where feminism or supposed oppression of females hasn't been brought up.

Quite annoying. Especially when it's a female lecturer lecturing us on how females can't get in jobs of power or high up jobs. Quite ironic too, I suppose.
    I don't believe you. Unless you are taking a course on feminism or something in which feminism would come up regularly.

Not once has feminism come up whist I've been at uni...but then why would it I'm studying biomed.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. That module on the physics of feminism was a real pain in the ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't believe you. Unless you are taking a course on feminism or something in which feminism would come up regularly.

Not once has feminism come up whist I've been at uni...but then why would it I'm studying biomed.
    At times I feel like I'm taking a course in feminism.

ReputationRep:
    At times I feel like I'm taking a course in feminism.
    What is your course?

ReputationRep:
    What is your course?
    "Gender studies"

Would be best response :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    "Gender studies"

Would be best response :lol:
    pahaha yes! :')

ReputationRep:
    In my degree, Feminism and Drug Design was a particularly difficult module I found. Physicofeminism was much easier :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What is your course?
    Sport.

ReputationRep:
    Sport.
    Right then, we're back to the I don't believe you or you are massively exaggerating.

ReputationRep:
    How about you check your male privilege? Rape culture, objectification, wage gap, victim blaming, patriarchy, arghhh!!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Well, if you're doing Economics, History, Politics, English, Sociology, etc. then feminism has been a pretty important influence over the past century or so.... so like it or not, it's useful to study it. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Right then, we're back to the I don't believe you or you are massively exaggerating.
    Actually I do a sports course too and i'm taking a module called sociology of sport.

The lecturer (women) is a incredibly strong femenist and she literally brings it up EVERY single lecture. Even when she is not lecturing about femenist theory, she will bring it in somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it comes up in every single lecture in every single module, but in something like "sociology of sport" I can see how gender could be very important. I would expect some things, like class/socio-economic status to also be brought up, but a lot of feminists believe that class can be intrinsically tied to gender politics anyway. I do think modules like this should be taught by more than one lecture, so you get a variety of perspectives, though.

Instead of just getting your back up, maybe listen to what you're being told and learn about the issues?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.