Why does everything in university have to be about feminism?

Watch this thread
Sixty7
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I don't think I've been in a lecture or seminar where feminism or supposed oppression of females hasn't been brought up.

Quite annoying. Especially when it's a female lecturer lecturing us on how females can't get in jobs of power or high up jobs. Quite ironic too, I suppose.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sixty7)
I don't think I've been in a lecture or seminar where feminism or supposed oppression of females hasn't been brought up.

Quite annoying. Especially when it's a female lecturer lecturing us on how females can't get in jobs of power or high up jobs. Quite ironic too, I suppose.
I don't believe you. Unless you are taking a course on feminism or something in which feminism would come up regularly.

Not once has feminism come up whist I've been at uni...but then why would it I'm studying biomed.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Completely agree. That module on the physics of feminism was a real pain in the ass.
Sixty7
Rep:
(Original post by SophieSmall)
I don't believe you. Unless you are taking a course on feminism or something in which feminism would come up regularly.

Not once has feminism come up whist I've been at uni...but then why would it I'm studying biomed.
At times I feel like I'm taking a course in feminism.
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
At times I feel like I'm taking a course in feminism.
What is your course?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What is your course?
"Gender studies"

Would be best response :lol:
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
"Gender studies"

Would be best response :lol:
pahaha yes! :')
Odd socks
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
In my degree, Feminism and Drug Design was a particularly difficult module I found. Physicofeminism was much easier :yep:
Sixty7
Rep:
What is your course?
Sport.
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sport.
Right then, we're back to the I don't believe you or you are massively exaggerating.
CheesusCrust
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How about you check your male privilege? Rape culture, objectification, wage gap, victim blaming, patriarchy, arghhh!!
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well, if you're doing Economics, History, Politics, English, Sociology, etc. then feminism has been a pretty important influence over the past century or so.... so like it or not, it's useful to study it. :yy:
DCFCfan4eva
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Right then, we're back to the I don't believe you or you are massively exaggerating.
Actually I do a sports course too and i'm taking a module called sociology of sport.

The lecturer (women) is a incredibly strong femenist and she literally brings it up EVERY single lecture. Even when she is not lecturing about femenist theory, she will bring it in somehow.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't believe it comes up in every single lecture in every single module, but in something like "sociology of sport" I can see how gender could be very important. I would expect some things, like class/socio-economic status to also be brought up, but a lot of feminists believe that class can be intrinsically tied to gender politics anyway. I do think modules like this should be taught by more than one lecture, so you get a variety of perspectives, though.

Instead of just getting your back up, maybe listen to what you're being told and learn about the issues?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
15.61%
The paper was reasonable (135)
50.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (68)
25.28%
It was TERRIBLE (24)
8.92%

Watched Threads