Can I mention that I go to church/am a Christian in my Cambridge Interview? Watch

Ben163
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Obviously i wouldn't mention it for the sake of trying to look better than anyone else, but if they asked me a question like, 'Tell me about yourself', or 'What do you do in your spare time?', could I talk about how I help out with my local church. My only worry is that some people have told me they might pre-judge me and view me in a negative light. Although this is obviously not allowed, the interviewers may still do it subconsciously.
Robertus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ben163)
Obviously i wouldn't mention it for the sake of trying to look better than anyone else, but if they asked me a question like, 'Tell me about yourself', or 'What do you do in your spare time?', could I talk about how I help out with my local church. My only worry is that some people have told me they might pre-judge me and view me in a negative light. Although this is obviously not allowed, the interviewers may still do it subconsciously.
You can, but I simply fail to see how it would be relevant. If you can link it into your academic experience in some way it might be useful (eg. Religious knowledge informing readings of texts for English) but otherwise maybe not.

Though I really don't think it'd harm you to mention it if they did question you on your personal life. Keep in mind a lot of academics in the humanities, for instance, may be religious themselves; same goes for the sciences, though generally there would be less there.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ben163)
It's no more likely to advantage or disadvantage you than saying you are muslim or hindi.

The main thing is to understand that the interview is a test of academics and intellect not personality. So the only relevance would be if you come across as in anyway less teachable or inflexible. On the whole they are not interested in what you do in your spare time.
RosieEPQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I mentioned Church in my interview - I teach Sunday School which was relevant to my education interview and my French one as I teach EAL children too I'd say bring it up if it's relevant, otherwise leave it. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (414)
37.77%
No - but I will (84)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.72%

Watched Threads