Turn on thread page Beta

TarHi
    I'm a 16yr old in college and my college offers counselling sessions that are confidential. So since the beginning of the year I wanted to book a session but wasn't sure.

One week I'd say I'd be fine and the next I'd be like no I should book it. Well today I gave in a form saying I want an appointment, and they said they'd contact me in a few days.

The thing Is I'm worried about it now should I have requested an appointment cos, well I worry alot and stress out alot-not enough for like panic attacks or anything it's just slight unnecessary worrying. But when I worry it really puts me on edge and I feel agitated and sometimes feel like I'm going to snap and shout or cry. I mean I was worried about college before I had even started and well my Grandad passed away just a few weeks in college, I mean that didn't really affect me at all I mean I was upset and felt numb / still feel it.

Also Ive felt upset and unmotivated for about 2 weeks now. I mean I think at one point I may of had depression cos I felt really down and I felt like this form October to mid November. It's just I've noticed for the past couple of days / weeks that I feel upset and feel like crying / have cried (in secret for nothing or over thinking things) . I've also felt. Like everythings been a drag I don't hate going to college but I don't love it. It's just.... Meh:/ and Ive felt like that or if I don't I'll feel down, but don't know why.

I guess what my real question is, that we'll is it okay to see a counselor for these kind of things cos I don't want to waste their time or anything, and what will they do - you know to help?? ( got told on the counselling sheet that you could go for relationships issues, health, depression exam stress, disorders and generally feeling lonley... ) but still I don't know I'm kind of regretting it/ worried cos I dont want to sound stupid.

Thanks
    So sorry for the length of this post x

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I think it's good that you wanted to help yourself by going to see a counsellor. I am not sure about 'what to say and what not to say' during a counselling session. But I can assure you that, if they're (the counsellors) are professional, then they should be able to listen to whatever there is that you need to say.

Crying is actually a sign that something isn't right. It's a sign that your body tells you. Don't be afraid to go seek an advice. From someone, your friends, strangers on the internet or whoever that you feel comfortable talking to. Keeping things inside you might results in you accumulating all the feeling and thus- creating a tension that might explode and leads you to a greater depression. I am proud of you for voicing out your concern. It shows that you care about yourself.

I might not be the best person to give you advice, but I know that I'm here if you need someone to talk to next time

[don't be afraid to PM me randomly]

(Original post by HSafirah)
    Hello there,

I think it's good that you wanted to help yourself by going to see a counsellor. I am not sure about 'what to say and what not to say' during a counselling session. But I can assure you that, if they're (the counsellors) are professional, then they should be able to listen to whatever there is that you need to say.

Crying is actually a sign that something isn't right. It's a sign that your body tells you. Don't be afraid to go seek an advice. From someone, your friends, strangers on the internet or whoever that you feel comfortable talking to. Keeping things inside you might results in you accumulating all the feeling and thus- creating a tension that might explode and leads you to a greater depression. I am proud of you for voicing out your concern. It shows that you care about yourself.

I might not be the best person to give you advice, but I know that I'm here if you need someone to talk to next time

[don't be afraid to PM me randomly]
    Oh thanks Xxxx
    Ur post actually madey day ' I feel proud of you... ' thanks
    hun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh thanks Xxxx
    Ur post actually madey day ' I feel proud of you... ' thanks
    hun

Aww, you made my day too by being nice :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Its exactly these sorts of things that the counselling is there for, so don't worry that you're wasting time or anything like that. There is no guarauntee that it will definitely help you, but its good that you've recognised that you could benefit from some help and have sought it out.

Counsellors are trained to help people to talk through their issues. If you're struggling with what to say, they will help you by asking questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.