im arab, parents dont let me marry asian?

Watch
mhassan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, im half iraqi and half lebanese/syrian. I started uni and i met this asian girl who is 3/4 pakistani and 1/4 white. Weird combo but i really like her and we want to get married but my parents are strongly against it due to the culture clash. Im trying to convince them but its not working. What shoukd i do?
twisted
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP i hope you dont mean you started uni this year
Seventeen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Many of us arabs tend to look down on people of different cultures I'm not sure why. Consider your parents reasoning see how they try and 'justify' their point. I'm assuming your Muslim, in this case I believe you're allowed to ignore your parents if they're blatantly against you marrying her for just being Pakistani.
imapedo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Asian parents generally dislike inter-racial marriages but I don't see anything wrong with it. At the end of the day, you both and your children will speak English. Stand up to your parents even if it means moving out.
to_proscratinate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Assuming your both Muslims:

- Explain to them that by preventing you from marrying a Muslim girl, who is from a different culture, is not going to benefit either party; nor them nor you. In fact, it will only be opening the doors to fitnah/haram acts.

- Explain to them that you will both be raising your children in line with the principles of Islam and not your cultures.

- Explain to them that you two i.e. yourself and the girl you like will not experience 'culture clash' in regards to one another as you are both British.

-Try to speak to a familiar Imaam from your local mosque (preferably someone your father knows of) and explain to them your predicament. Ask them to then talk to your parents to help them understand and agree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (547)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (664)
41.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.3%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed