If a bedroom is so small is it exempt from bedroom tax? Watch

Smiley face. YAY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We are paying bedroom tax on 1 room and we argued it was a small room and was told as long as you can fit a bed in then you have to pay BT.

after watching a programme today a man had a small room in which had a bed, wardrobe and other little things but still he was EXEMPT from bedroom tax because his room was too small so what's the answer here?
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's still not a tax

Posted from TSR Mobile
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If its under 70 sq ft it isn't classed as a bedroom; one of my friends doesn't pay it on her spare room which she uses for storage for this reason. Might be trickier to get away with if the room is already in use as a bedroom. I saw the same program and I'm pretty sure he took the bed out when the council came to measure up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smiley face. YAY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inazuma)
It's still not a tax

Posted from TSR Mobile

in English please?
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does it have a window or an opening skylight? If not then for sales purposes it cannot be described as a room.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smiley face. YAY)
in English please?
There is no bedroom tax in the UK.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
in English please?
It's not a tax.

The bedroom tax is not a tax. People aren't being taxed for having a spare bedroom.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Government does not apply set criteria for what does or does not constitute a bedroom. It is up to a landlord (in this case, a social landlord) to define - within reason - what constitutes a bedroom.

You'd ask your landlord, in short, if you thought it was wrongly considered a bedroom.
Smiley face. YAY
Rep:
?
(Original post by DJKL)
Does it have a window or an opening skylight? If not then for sales purposes it cannot be described as a room.

a very small window so high up you have to tip toe to see out of it, it's also too small and doesn't meet the minimum legal requirements as it doesn't open enough for a person to get out of an emergency, we don't sleep in this room as we don't feel safe as in case of an emergency the window isn't big enough to escape.

so therefore we shouldn't have to pay bedroom tax on a room that doesn't meet minimum requirements. we are looking into disputing our bedroom tax
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bedroom tax '' Dumb ass number 2''
Who brought in a bedroom tax? When?

I have two bedrooms, I don't think I'm taxed differently to my parents who have three...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bedroom '' TAX'' dumbass
They're pointing out there's no such thing. That name was used as a political slogan - it was never a tax, it was a reduction in housing benefit for people in social housing (bringing it into line with housing benefit claimants in the private rented sector), with the tenant expected to make up the shortfall in his or her rent.
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Who brought in a bedroom tax? When?

I have two bedrooms, I don't think I'm taxed differently to my parents who have three...
Do you or your parents own your own home or have a private landlord? The "bedroom tax" only applies to those living in social housing and receiving housing benefit (the "tax" being a reduction in their housing benefit for having unused bedrooms).
sdotd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
bedroom tax was the name given by labour
WharfedaleTiger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bedroom tax = the spare room subsidy - two names for the same thing. Labour call it a tax because it involves a reduction on people HB entitlement due to having an extra bedroom (ie. a tax on their HB), the Conservatives say that it's stopping a HB subsidy for spare rooms.

Neither is entirely correct - its a withdrawal of benefit rather than a tax or the end to a subsidy. I tend to lean towards the Labour interpretation rather than the Conservative view as HB is designed to pay for someones accommodation when they can't afford the rent. Withdrawing a portion of it because they have an additional bedroom, with no discretion or understanding of how that bedroom was acquired, seems more like a tax that the withdrawal of a subsidy.

In terms of your present situation you're in a tough situation. There is, as others have outlined, no definition of a bedroom and if you were assigned it as a bedroom or have used it as a bedroom it will be very hard to convince any HB department not to count it as a bedroom. I've seen various people try to avoid the tax using similar reasons (in one memorable case claiming the bedroom has been converted to a temple) and none have been successful. Apply for DHP's and look to downsize
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bedroom '' TAX'' dumbass

Bedroom tax '' Dumb ass number 2''

a very small window so high up you have to tip toe to see out of it, it's also too small and doesn't meet the minimum legal requirements as it doesn't open enough for a person to get out of an emergency, we don't sleep in this room as we don't feel safe as in case of an emergency the window isn't big enough to escape.

so therefore we shouldn't have to pay bedroom tax on a room that doesn't meet minimum requirements. we are looking into disputing our bedroom tax
But it's not a tax.
Smiley face. YAY
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
But it's not a tax.

Explain what the '' TAX'' is in bedroom ''tax'' then
(Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
Bedroom tax = the spare room subsidy - two names for the same thing. Labour call it a tax because it involves a reduction on people HB entitlement due to having an extra bedroom (ie. a tax on their HB), the Conservatives say that it's stopping a HB subsidy for spare rooms.

Neither is entirely correct - its a withdrawal of benefit rather than a tax or the end to a subsidy. I tend to lean towards the Labour interpretation rather than the Conservative view as HB is designed to pay for someones accommodation when they can't afford the rent. Withdrawing a portion of it because they have an additional bedroom, with no discretion or understanding of how that bedroom was acquired, seems more like a tax that the withdrawal of a subsidy.

In terms of your present situation you're in a tough situation. There is, as others have outlined, no definition of a bedroom and if you were assigned it as a bedroom or have used it as a bedroom it will be very hard to convince any HB department not to count it as a bedroom. I've seen various people try to avoid the tax using similar reasons (in one memorable case claiming the bedroom has been converted to a temple) and none have been successful. Apply for DHP's and look to downsize

paying for it isn't a problem in the slightest. in fact we only moved in about a year ago as we had been living in a private rented house beforehand that was in disrepair and the landlord would not fix it. we moved into our current 3 bedroom house and was hit with bedroom tax but we are very easily able to pay it but were pissed off having to when we shouldn't have had to move in the first place so if we don;'t have to pay it then meh , it would be better still
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

paying for it isn't a problem in the slightest. in fact we only moved in about a year ago as we had been living in a private rented house beforehand that was in disrepair and the landlord would not fix it. we moved into our current 3 bedroom house and was hit with bedroom tax but we are very easily able to pay it but were pissed off having to when we shouldn't have had to move in the first place so if we don;'t have to pay it then meh , it would be better still
The tax in bedroom tax was a name given by the media.

It's not a tax.

I have two spare bedrooms and I'm not taxed on them.

You don't pay a tax on spare bedrooms.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd never heard of a bedroom tax before.

Could you send me a link to where I pay it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.32%
No - but I will (49)
6.98%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.26%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (333)
47.44%

Watched Threads