Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Yeah man, his empire is so going down! But seriously, it'll just be a site where I can share myself and my interests with the world, as you do. But I'm not sure what I'd be buying.
    I'm not sure you want the oneandone deal then. Try www.brinkster.com for some free space.

Otherwise choose the lowest account possible-ie the home package one £4.99/month

ReputationRep:
    Prospective Cambridge graduate methinks.
    haha! then you'll be wrong! cambridge!! haha!

its just a bit creativity and experience. i've had 5 different designs before i reach this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I'm not sure you want the oneandone deal then. Try www.brinkster.com for some free space.

Otherwise choose the lowest account possible-ie the home package one £4.99/month
    Alright, I think I know what I'm going to pay for my webspace, I want to know how exactly to fund it though. I know of advertising but not how to do it. I need serious help!

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I think I know what I'm going to pay for my webspace, I want to know how exactly to fund it though. I know of advertising but not how to do it. I need serious help!
    For a personal site etc, its unlikely you can get any serious funding. You need good page views on your site for any decent advertisment to take affect.

So stick to the free one for bettter returns. ie from google adsense and pop ups

ReputationRep:
    The most costly thing will be your time - I've spent at least 500 hours writing, coding and maintaining mine - which would add up to a small forture if i spent the time working instead. Setting up a website can be free if you use free hosting and don't buy a domain, though it will make it more difficult in the long run. You can easily host a site for less than £30 a year over all if you shop around for a domain name though.

If your looking for a way to make money the easiest is web advertising. There are lots of companies such as commision junction, adsense and overture which pay for ads look at a few until you find one that works.

Other methods are sponsorship, donations or selling some kind of product but if you only have a small site none of them are likely to generate much revenue though.

ReputationRep:
    do you really need funding? coz it really isnt that expensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    do you really need funding? coz it really isnt that expensive?
    Probably not, but I don't want to be leaking even a small amount when I'm at uni. I think I'll just have a couple of minor adverts, and I'll just fund it myself, from the money I expect my dad to pipeline me while I'm at uni

ReputationRep:
    One more question: what software would you suggest I use to "do it up"?

loftx, your site won't load...

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, but I don't want to be leaking even a small amount when I'm at uni. I think I'll just have a couple of minor adverts, and I'll just fund it myself, from the money I expect my dad to pipeline me while I'm at uni
    hey if you want a proper domain then try this link

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/affiliate.cgi?id=AF192810

i got my webby add and host off them for cheap!

ReputationRep:

As in create the site? Use the oneandone default webcreator its pretty good. Otherwise plan for a long run and use dreamweaver or net objects (which you get with oneandone for free)

For any graphics use photoimpact (free with oneandone account) or photoshop

ReputationRep:
    hey if you want a proper domain then try this link

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/affiliate.cgi?id=AF192810

i got my webby add and host off them for cheap!
    Genius, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Genius, thanks.
    no problem, their host and domain combo is cheap

ReputationRep:
    no problem, their host and domain combo is cheap
    Cheaper than oneandone's? I'm quite tired and all I see is numbers.

ReputationRep:
    no idea about oneandone but check it out - you've got time

ReputationRep:
    Only by about £1 per month for a similar service. And thats missing out on over £200 free worth of uptodate software from oneandone. And some hefty extras added by oneandone.

ReputationRep:
    no idea about oneandone but check it out - you've got time
    Maybe not today but when I have a spare hour. I've saved oneandone and 123-reg to my favourites. Thanks to all who've helped, I appreciate it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember us when you are a dot com millionare. Because we won't remember you when you are bankrupt again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Just remember us when you are a dot com millionare. Because we won't remember you when you are bankrupt again.
    lol indeed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hmm! Glad to hear it.

ReputationRep:

Damn I wonder why that is. It's been acting a bit odd recenlty, i may have to mail my host about it.

To do it up, I would suggest learing HTML, it takes a while but will be worth it. Once you've got the basic idea find other sites you like and steal bits from it. Also search for free design templates - there are some brilliant free templates out there.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.