The Student Room Group

Applying with OU credits

Hi everyone.

I'm planning on applying to the universities of Exeter and Southampton to study physics/astrophysics as a mature student.
Should I be offered a place, by the time I start I will have completed 102 credits - I've already completed a 60 credit module with the OU to distinction level and I'm currently studying another 30 credit module with them. I've also earned 12 credits through a distance learning module with LJMU.

My question is this: What are the typical chances of acceptance for someone with my educational experience?

It may be worth noting that one of my choices listed is physics with foundation year, as a back up should I not get accepted straight on to the first year of the undergraduate degree.

Thanks for your time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by maxmaltz
Hi everyone.

I'm planning on applying to the universities of Exeter and Southampton to study physics/astrophysics as a mature student.
Should I be offered a place, by the time I start I will have completed 102 credits - I've already completed a 60 credit module with the OU to distinction level and I'm currently studying another 30 credit module with them. I've also earned 12 credits through a distance learning module with LJMU.

My question is this: What are the typical chances of acceptance for someone with my educational experience?

It may be worth noting that one of my choices listed is physics with foundation year, as a back up should I not get accepted straight on to the first year of the undergraduate degree.

Thanks for your time.

Noone on tsr can really say what your chances are. Your best bet is to contact your choices directly and ask them whether your credits are likely to result in an offer (and if not what else they recommend you do to strengthen your application)
There is no standard policy for accepting students with OU credits, different universities ask for different things. All the universities I applied to required 120 credits, but I know a TSR user who got into Glasgow with 60 credits. There is no guarantee that the universities you're interested in will consider you with OU credits, so it is essential that you ask before you apply. What OU modules have you done? Physics/Astrophysics obviously involves a lot of maths so I doubt Exeter or Southampton would accept a student who has only done MU123 for example.
Reply 3
Thank you both for your responses.

I've completed S104 Exploring Science and I'm currently studying MST124 Essential Mathematics.
I've achieved 90+% in nearly all assignments attempted (if that's something they consider) and I attained distinction in my module result for S104.

Both Exeter and Southampton say they consider OU credits as alternative qualifications from mature students in the online profiles of their degree programmes.

I e-mailed both universities a number of months back asking what would typically be needed, but didn't get very clear or concise replies from what I can remember.
Ideally, I should probably phone, although it's not something I'm usually comfortable with (Asperger's). Perhaps that's something I need to face up to if I'm going to get anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending