The Student Room Group

University: Overall Performance vs Subject Performance

Whats more important to consider when applying for a university, the overall performance ranking, or how highly the subject you want to do is ranked for that uni, and also which are employers more likely to care about? Im looking to do Mechanical Engineering if that makes any difference
Original post by lad123
Whats more important to consider when applying for a university, the overall performance ranking, or how highly the subject you want to do is ranked for that uni, and also which are employers more likely to care about? Im looking to do Mechanical Engineering if that makes any difference

Employers don't care about either of them.
Subject, if anything. Overall might help if you choose to go into a non-engineering field.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
Subject, if anything. Overall might help if you choose to go into a non-engineering field.

Thanks mate, i think smack might've actually been on smack when writing his response
Original post by lad123
Thanks mate, i think smack might've actually been on smack when writing his response

Well he's already started his career so I somewhat trust what he says. On the other hand his advice is from being at only one company and statistics don't really lie.
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
Well he's already started his career so I somewhat trust what he says. On the other hand his advice is from being at only one company and statistics don't really lie.

I think he does strongly have a point.

Accreditation and links to industry are of greater importance than pure ranking although there is likely to be a certain correlation. Some companies (engineering) tend to have their favoured and targeted unis and it isn't always the ones at the top of the ranking list.

In response to the OP's question I'd put subject ranking ahead of over all ranking unless you don't really want to go into engineering in the end.
Original post by Folion
I think he does strongly have a point.

Accreditation and links to industry are of greater importance than pure ranking although there is likely to be a certain correlation. Some companies (engineering) tend to have their favoured and targeted unis and it isn't always the ones at the top of the ranking list.

In response to the OP's question I'd put subject ranking ahead of over all ranking unless you don't really want to go into engineering in the end.

Agreed. OP should look at the modules of each university because for mechanical engineering they can vary a lot. For example at Sheffield they're very mechanical focused whereas at Southampton you have a bit more option and a broader foundation in year 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending