Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's more important to consider when choosing a University, the Overall performance ranking of the uni, or how highly that uni is ranked for a certain subject, and which one will employers care more about?, I'm looking at doing Mechanical Engineering if that makes a difference.

Depends on your subject I suppose. I can't offer much advice since I have no clue about Mechanical Engineering.

My first degree in English Literature was from Edinburgh University, I chose it because it's a big name University, good rep. However for my current application for animation, all the Universities I've picked were ones I've never heard before until now (Northumbria/De Montfort/Teesside), they are well known for their animation departments and have good links to the actual industry/future employers.

So, if your research shows a massive difference between general Uni ranking vs. Department ranking, I'd go with the departments. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on Engineering can help. I am gonna guess that overall performance is a better choice for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffeecakey)
    Depends on your subject I suppose. I can't offer much advice since I have no clue about Mechanical Engineering.

My first degree in English Literature was from Edinburgh University, I chose it because it's a big name University, good rep. However for my current application for animation, all the Universities I've picked were ones I've never heard before until now (Northumbria/De Montfort/Teesside), they are well known for their animation departments and have good links to the actual industry/future employers.

So, if your research shows a massive difference between general Uni ranking vs. Department ranking, I'd go with the departments. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on Engineering can help. I am gonna guess that overall performance is a better choice for your subject.
    I'm assuming department rankings are more likely to change, e.g Liverpool was 4th in 2008 and in 2014 was 35th, so do employers look at the years the person was at the uni (is that even possible) or how highly it's ranked at that current time? Do you know anything about that as that would be another reason to say overall performance was more important, as it's less likely to change.

Yes department rankings can change quite a bit, which is why more research is needed / digging around on forums to judge the reputation of a particular department. Should be some threads here that suggest good Uni's for engineering. However an employer is definitely not going to turn you down just because the ranking varied by 20 or even 50 positions. That kind of differentiation only matters if you've got a Cambridge degree.

I'd still go for overall performance for big subjects. You can always use both rankings to help pick your choices, no reason why not to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 3, 2014

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.