Harvard referencing? Watch

trrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'd like to know if you need to reference lecture notes/ textbook giving to me by the Uni and whether you should only reference essays as I have an assignment which says I should cite all references used and its include a couple of questions + an essay?
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trrr)
I'd like to know if you need to reference lecture notes/ textbook giving to me by the Uni and whether you should only reference essays as I have an assignment which says I should cite all references used and its include a couple of questions + an essay?
Yes you reference lecture notes. On my degree we had to provide a bibliography for all assignments; I guess this probably varies between universities/courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
trrr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by gemmam)
Yes you reference lecture notes. On my degree we had to provide a bibliography for all assignments; I guess it probably varies from universities/courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about textbooks provided by the university?
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trrr)
What about textbooks provided by the university?
We didn't have those on my degree so I'm not certain but I guess you'd probably have to reference those too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aston University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, if anything it's better to over reference when writing university essays, it cuts down on the risk of plagiarism and makes it look like you've done a wider variety of reading. Also this got me through the majority of my Undergraduate degree: https://www.citethisforme.com/
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should definitely reference any books, papers or websites you use unless your assignment brief states otherwise. Ad the above poster says, overkill is better than under referencing.

Lecture notes are trickier. We were marked down for using them as it showed that we were just repeating what we'd been told and hadn't done our own research. Referencing them would just draw attention to it. However if you're determined to use them, then referencing them is better than not referencing them. They should be referenced as "Personal communication" and attributed to the lecturer. If the lecturer has provided sources for their notes, then use those instead. But as you should always reference only material that you have read yourself, you should reference them as "Soandso 2011' in Jones 2014 Personal communication" (look up the exact format used by your uni).

Do beware of just repeating what you've been told in lectures without checking it from original sources. I had one lecturer who used to season lectures with the occasional nugget of credible-sounding rubbish, just to check who was researching assignments and who was only regurgitating what he said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads