The Student Room Group

Taking LNAT Wednesday, last minute advice?

Okay so I've finished my application, finished my personally statement, finished the Cambridge Application Form, now I just need to take the LNAT :smile:

Booked in for Wednesday, I've got the practise LNAT official one and I'm going to practise that tonight. Any advice about the LNAT in general? :biggrin: *stressing out*

Edit: Do I have a chance?
UCAS Form: Completed, Personal Statement: Completed, Predicted grades & references: Completed, LNAT: Scheduled Wednesday :eek:
IB Predicted: Eng A1 HL: 6, History HL: 6, French B: 7, Maths Methods: 7, Enviro: 7, Eco: 7, Total: 39/42.
Applying to: Cambridge (Jesus), Exeter, Warwick, Leicester, UCL, East Anglia.

Scroll to see replies

I did mine last wednesday. No need to stress out! My advice to you would be:

1) Do the practice tests, the ones on the LSAT (american version) website may help too.
2) Plan your time!!!!! I ran out ouf time at the end of the multiple choice, which I was really annoyed at myself for.
3) Read the passages carefully first time through - if you're not concentrating then you'll find you'll have to read them over and over again, which is a waste of time, especially when you have so little of it!
4) Relax, and allow your mind to think precisely and carefully.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Ooo will do :smile:

What d'you guys think of upgraded poly-technic Universities? My dad is sceptical but East Anglia has high student satisfaction ratings... :confused:
Reply 3
I wouldn't wanna go to any, but that's just me being snobby really. I'm sure some of them are good, the best thing to do with unis is visit them. That way you can get a feel for them and know whether you would like to go there.
UEA is not an ex-poly.
Reply 5
Good luck with the test Bobly.

Why did UEA pull out of the LNAT?
Reply 6
Just out of interest Bobly - with predictions of 39/42 why are you only applying to two very good law schools. Is it more the case that you think you won't meet the predictions. And are you at Sevenoaks?
Reply 7
UEA isn't an ex-poly? Damn my dad and his ancestral uni knowledge :P

Why am I only applying to 2 good Unis?
Cambridge, Exter and Warwick and 3 very good universities, however I was going to apply to LSE, Bristol and Durham too but I'm not just aiming to get a basic Law LLB, here's exactly what I'm applying for:

Cambridge - Law BA opt. Maitrise (French Law degree)
Exeter - Law LLB w/ Maitrise (French Law degree)
Warwick - European Law
Leicester - Law LLB w/ Maitrise
UEA - European Law
UCL - Law w/ French Law

It just makes you stick out in a crowd of LAW LLBs later on, and I've grown up in France so I might as well take on that advantage.
Reply 8
UEA is good old 1960's / glass plate uni thats done v v well for itself, it is not a expoly lol. in fact it came joint 1st in the National Student Survey this yr.

are u apply for the Law with European Legal Systems course then, coz it you are...SNAP!! wow first person i've met on tsr apply to that course too.

And good luck with ure LNAT on wednesday....which is tomoro oooooh !!
Reply 9
Yeah I thought it didn't seem so bad either, the National Student Survey is where I heard about it too.

However I'm afraid I'm not applying to the European Legal systems course, I'm doing the course that has the normal Law LLB + the French Maitrise en Droit (equivalent of the LLB), and the other's are Law with French law or Law with French law and language and one European Law.
Reply 10
Bobly
Yeah I thought it didn't seem so bad either, the National Student Survey is where I heard about it too.

However I'm afraid I'm not applying to the European Legal systems course, I'm doing the course that has the normal Law LLB + the French Maitrise en Droit (equivalent of the LLB), and the other's are Law with French law or Law with French law and language and one European Law.

ohhhhhhh ok.

Yea i can still hope i am the only person applyign for that course and i will get an offer lol!
How did it go Bobly?
Reply 12
Okay well I got back and I think it went okay :smile:

Got there about 30 mins early but the time you book it doesn't matter because you start it whenever you arrive and there's a computer available.

You get directed infront of a computer with the LNAT tutorial and then you start the test.

It's EXACTLY like the practise test on the LNAT website so give it a go.

The questions for both the multiple choice and the essays seem to be downloaded from the LNAT center as you do it...

Why do I say seem? Because each time I clicked next, the screen would take a while to refresh, the computer couldn't possible be that slow to just be loading the next page. On top of that, I took the test at the same time as my girlfriend and we both got different questions, though one of our essay questions was the same but in a different slot.

If I had a tip to give... Practise the LNAT one, it really is the same, I found that mine was easier but my girlfriend found hers harder so the difficulty is pretty much the same, it just depends on how well you understand the texts. If you fall on a style of writing you understand well or a topic you're half-knowledgeable about it makes it alot easier than something political and written in very formal/old english. Read the newspaper to read different types of writing, some similar to the LNAT things. (proper newspapers, guardian, times, independent ect)

Time-wise, I was fine, finishing a full half-an-hour early on the multiple-choice and ten minutes early on the essay (though now I think about it I'm sure I could've put those 10 minutes to good use, don't do the same mistake :P) but if you're REALLY tight for time, you could ATTEMPT to click previous and next a few times while you think. The loading of a new page takes 4-5 seconds and the timer is paused during that time. I haven't tested this, maybe clicking back once it's loaded is faster but oh well, just a thought.

Oh... and don't steal the board and pen you're given to write a scrap on or whatever, it's considered ill-conduct and they'll fail you :P

(anyone know why my signature isn't showing up? :P)
Reply 13
Bobly
Okay well I got back and I think it went okay :smile:

Got there about 30 mins early but the time you book it doesn't matter because you start it whenever you arrive and there's a computer available.

You get directed infront of a computer with the LNAT tutorial and then you start the test.

It's EXACTLY like the practise test on the LNAT website so give it a go.

The questions for both the multiple choice and the essays seem to be downloaded from the LNAT center as you do it...

Why do I say seem? Because each time I clicked next, the screen would take a while to refresh, the computer couldn't possible be that slow to just be loading the next page. On top of that, I took the test at the same time as my girlfriend and we both got different questions, though one of our essay questions was the same but in a different slot.

If I had a tip to give... Practise the LNAT one, it really is the same, I found that mine was easier but my girlfriend found hers easier so the difficulty is pretty much the same, it just depends on how well you understand the texts. If you fall on a style of writing you understand well or a topic you're half-knowledgeable about it makes it alot easier than something political and written in very formal/old english. Read the newspaper to read different types of writing, some similar to the LNAT things. (proper newspapers, guardian, times, independent ect)

Time-wise, I was fine, finishing a full half-an-hour early on the multiple-choice and ten minutes early on the essay (though now I think about it I'm sure I could've put those 10 minutes to good use, don't do the same mistake :P) but if you're REALLY tight for time, you could ATTEMPT to click previous and next a few times while you think. The loading of a new page takes 4-5 seconds and the timer is paused during that time. I haven't tested this, maybe clicking back once it's loaded is faster but oh well, just a thought.

Oh... and don't steal the board and pen you're given to write a scrap on or whatever, it's considered ill-conduct and they'll fail you :P

(anyone know why my signature isn't showing up? :P)

cool.

Sigs i believe only show up on one of ure posts per page.
Reply 14
Bobly

God damnit!
You finished half an hour early on the multiple choice?!?!? :eek3: :eek:

I ran out of time on that!!! Didn't even finish the last question. How on earth did you manage it?

Well done though! Glad you found it ok :smile:
Reply 16
Good luck to everyone doing the LNAT! I still have not booked mine o well.
Reply 17
adil_2006
Good luck to everyone doing the LNAT! I still have not booked mine o well.

lol see if i was in your position i would have jsut changed KCL, its the reason i didnt pick UEA originally for the sake of doing the LNAT for one university lol.

Good luck anyway, when you do book it lol.
Reply 18
Well I've now done the LNAT twice. Once last year, once this. Timing was just ok for MChoice and very tight for Essay.

Almost everything you say Bobly I agree with, especially the bit about if you know about a subject then the questions tend to become easier. Out of interest there was no massive (4-5 seconds) gap between questions last year. It all loaded pretty quickly as far as I could remember. But this year the gap was odd.
Reply 19
Just get loads of sleep and have a good breakfast. That's it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending