Possibility of changing dental schools? Watch

AnonDentist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a first year BDS Undergraduate and I am currently unhappy due to being so far away from home, I get very homesick and I would much rather be at a university closer to home.
Would it be possible for me to either transfer universities or apply for entry in 2016 for another dental school?
If I were to drop out after first year and move to another university and start again would I be able to get a full student loan again? Would I even be considered by the uni?
I am not unhappy with the course content and I feel like I won't fail the year it is just I am not happy where I am right now and would prefer to be somewhere nearer to home.
lois griffin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnonDentist)
I am a first year BDS Undergraduate and I am currently unhappy due to being so far away from home, I get very homesick and I would much rather be at a university closer to home.
Would it be possible for me to either transfer universities or apply for entry in 2016 for another dental school?
If I were to drop out after first year and move to another university and start again would I be able to get a full student loan again? Would I even be considered by the uni?
I am not unhappy with the course content and I feel like I won't fail the year it is just I am not happy where I am right now and would prefer to be somewhere nearer to home.
So sorry to hear that you are homesick. I doubt whether you would be able to transfer - best to directly contact the dental schools closer to your home and get a definitive answer. Applying for 2016 entry would be risky because as you know, there is no guarantee that you would get in and the fact that you dropped out of another dental school would be held against you unless you had very extenuating circumstances.
Being homesick is perfectly normal - many students are very homesick but most put on a brave front.
The main thing you need to do is STAY POSITIVE, really embrace the elements of course and student life that you enjoy. If you are really missing the family you can Facetime or Skype lots - but really you need to balance how much time you spend talking to folks back home because it may reinforce that homesick feeling. If you were at Uni, closer to home you would end up visiting home more often and could end up missing out on many aspects of student life.
In my experience the students who settle best at Uni re those thrive on the course AND establish good friendships at Uni. Making friends with like minded people can be difficult....if your flat mates are not your sort of people it can be difficult. Similarly if you haven't gelled with people on your course it can be tricky.
I am sorry if this post seems patronising - I don't mean to.....my advice is ....if you find that transfer to another uni is impossible then do everything you can to stay positive. Take every opportunity to get involved with all aspects of uni/dental school life (sport, clubs, dental societies) try to widen your friendship circle. Once you have established friendships and settled into university then feelings of homesickness will assuage.
muchomungo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnonDentist)
There were several people in my uni who transferred from other dental schools. So it's definitely possible. Best advice is make sure you pass 1st year exams with flying colours and make a request to your dean as well as the uni you want to transfer to.
After 2nd year it becomes pretty difficult due to differences in curriculum order.
Those first year exams are vital though. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons though. When you graduate you'll almost certainly have to be flexible with location.
Dentistry101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by muchomungo)
There were several people in my uni who transferred from other dental schools. So it's definitely possible. Best advice is make sure you pass 1st year exams with flying colours and make a request to your dean as well as the uni you want to transfer to.
After 2nd year it becomes pretty difficult due to differences in curriculum order.
Those first year exams are vital though. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons though. When you graduate you'll almost certainly have to be flexible with location.

Hi, would you mind saying which uni you are studying at and where the other students came from (uni wise) please???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed