The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well they're simply catering for consumer demand. Most web users would say that Google is the best search engine for example.

Government isn't necessary to regulate monopolies. Without regulations, there is nothing to stop rival search engines from emerging in order to compete with Google.
Reply 2
it's funny - microsoft is copying google products. Vista has a 'toolbar' which is exactly the same as google desktop :p:
Can't really argue with the quality Google's products. I wonder how close to the mark the Google operating system theories/rumours are...
Reply 4
I must admit, im more concerned about Tesco's dominance than Googles. I think they have done well for themselves. Youtube is a great site and has lots of hits, its a good acquisition.
Reply 5
Google have got a good deal i think! Mind you if someone asked me to sell my company for 883 mill i would not say NO! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I hate massive corporations.
Reply 7
Thud
I hate massive corportations.

*sigh*

Anyway. I don't think the Youtube acquisition will pay off for Google, I mean they already have Google Video, which is IMO superior.
Reply 8
Google Video what meant to be what YouTube is - which is prob why they bought it - kill off competiton.
Youtube will run as normal.
Google rules ! But i as with most corporations, they start of innocent/helpful and its all downhil from there.
It was a mistake for Google to purchase Youtube. They'll be inundated with copyright lawsuits.
Thud
I hate massive corporations.

I assume then that your computer doesn't run on windows then............ I also assume you only shop in your local greengrocers rather than a supermarket.
Reply 12
It'll be interesting to see if they can make youtube at all profitable. This is googles first big acquisition so we'll see what happens.
Any self respecting commie would run linux surely?
Reply 14
guitargirl03
I assume then that your computer doesn't run on windows then............ I also assume you only shop in your local greengrocers rather than a supermarket.

No, that'd mean she wasn't a hypocrit :smile:
_jackofdiamonds

:eek: It's got to be windows, lol.
Reply 16
_jackofdiamonds

absolutely.
Reply 17
$1.65bn for a company set up barely two years ago and yet to make a profit.

Stupid decision
Thud
what a lot of you seem to forget that we are currently forced to live in Capitalist society whether we like it or not

You could always go to Cuba. Or North Korea. I mean, it's true that both of those countries are much more famous for people running the other way, but I'm sure you'd have a good time.
Reply 19
The_Bear
$1.65bn for a company set up barely two years ago and yet to make a profit.

Stupid decision

Youtube's value is based on it's advertising potential. As someone said in the FT yesterday "$1.6bn is chump change for Google". The problem will be when they try and make people play by the rules. There's so much illegal crud on there that it's going to take a stroke of genius to sort it out without loosing at least 40% of it's users.

Latest

Trending

Trending