Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yup, sanctity of contract is being eroded slowly, as you will find when you do remedies there is now a general idea that you should be able to "buy yourself out" of any contract you enter into by paying appropriate damages, unless specific performance is available ... but as you will see it's rare as hell.

ReputationRep:
    LOL just don't be turning up to 'shouts' all sleepy and zombie like. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    We've been using Anson for contract so far, also got BBF casebook however I find it a bit complex, probably just need time to get used to it!

Root xx

ReputationRep:
    Anson is very good - very readable... kinda "instruction manual" style. What made me rule Anson out almost immediately was the date of the most recent edition - 2002... Had Anson been in the 2005/06 period I would quite possibly have opted for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's getting a little bit olod now, but it all depends on whether there have been any really important cases in the intermittent period and of that I am not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is the thing... most of the more "up to date" texts made specfic mentions along the lines of "revised and updated to include the long awaited outcome of...." - the most oft quoted case being Shogun Finance v Hudson - which having had a brief look at seems utterly inequitable!!! All the parties who can arguably be said to have soem "blame" in the case (Patel had his id stolen and may be said to be negligent in that respect, Shogun ought to have been more careful in their arrangements)- they all walk away with their positions relatively "intact" and in the case of the rogue - £17K the richer - and the poor innocent party (although maybe he should have HPI'd the vehicle) is the ultimate loser! However, I hasen to add that the above is a snap reaction based on having only flicked through the case to see what all the fuss was about!

ReputationRep:
    Having done Hudson v Shogun twice (once in contract, and once when discussing the nemo dat exception of buyer in possession in personal property) I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to reconcile with the other caselaw in the area which tends to turn on an (admittedly dodgy in my eyes) distinction of whether the dealing was "face to face" or "at arms length". The former resulting in an intention to contract with the rogue and not who he purports to be, and so mistake as to identity is defeated. Hudson doesn't follow this, and tbh it took me ages to fully grasp it as the reasoning is rather haphazard ... but I did eventually, shame I forgot it now .

ReputationRep:
    *cries* I hate contract. For some reason im just not getting it as much as the other modules. I love property, i like criminal and i like Modern English Legal System. Thank god contract's only for a term! Tort sounds much more interesting and understandable... though i could be so wrong lol.

ReputationRep:
    Contract is only one term!!!! It was year long for me! It is generally recognised as being the most difficult first year module though... property is up there though, don;t get too cocky on it the examiners are generally pretty pedantic about it lol. Where you study?

ReputationRep:
    I had a textbook and a casebook by Poole and they were both fine. I used McKendrick in the library sometimes and Treitel also.

I can't believe some uni's cover Contract in 1 semester! We did it for the whole session. I know that at Manchester they do it in first semester only.

ReputationRep:
    I use the Mckendrick one.I prefer it to Anson's which I don't get along with, quite frankly.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.