Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading through my revision guide(been a year since I last looked at the pages I am right now ) and it says for the definition of:

the relative atomic mass = average mass per atom of an atomo x 12/the mass of one atmoc of carbon-12

Well, is the mass of one atom of carbon-12 not 12? So 12/12 = 1 so youre just left with average mass per atom of an atom

Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it's a case of shut up and write it.
    They can't say hydrogen ebcause Hydrogen is 1.0001 or something, as carbon is used instead. And they can't just say equal to 1... 1 what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes, I think it's a case of shut up and write it.
    They can't say hydrogen ebcause Hydrogen is 1.0001 or something, as carbon is used instead. And they can't just say equal to 1... 1 what?
    Ahh right, I see, one of those political bits of *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Ahh right, I see, one of those political bits of *******s
    Hydrogen was previously used as the standard, but it was realised that its relative mass was 1.0008, and since it's a gas it is difficult to work with.

Carbon-12 is now the standard because it is a nice solid and is abundant.

ReputationRep:
    Carbon-12 is now the standard because it is a nice solid and is abundant.
    Yes this was true in the olden days, but the main reason is beacuse the Carbon-12 isotope has a mass which has been accuartely worked out to be 12.0000...

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.