Starting university with OCD Watch

GeorginaLucienne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's about a year away but I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience of this? In my head it'll either be a massive relievent to have such a big change in life or it could be the worst thing ever for my ocd.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is it about your OCD that you have observed? It's really not a problem as long as you can explain your obsessive-compulsive actions.
shrublemaker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in the same position here and I'm not really sure what to expect?
GeorginaLucienne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
some of my compulsions are to do with a fear that thjngs I tell people about myself aren't true. Like if I tell people my birth place I may spend hours making sure the place and hospital are where I said and that they exist. I'm worried about meeting new people and this potentially getting worse as I will need to tell people things about me to get to know them.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GeorginaLucienne)
some of my compulsions are to do with a fear that thjngs I tell people about myself aren't true. Like if I tell people my birth place I may spend hours making sure the place and hospital are where I said and that they exist. I'm worried about meeting new people and this potentially getting worse as I will need to tell people things about me to get to know them.
Practice speaking naturally. "Where do you come from?" is not the same as "Describe where you come from". (tbh you could even say you were born in a dump and some would laugh it off as banter)
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started university while still having some difficulty with OCD, I was a long way off my worst points and therefore had a good array of coping mechanisms and was used to challenging it

at first I found it easier to get out of my OCD habits, small things like having a different alarm clock and having a light switch on the other side of the room meant that my rituals had to change and therefore it was easier to reduce them rather than adapt them... however I found my first year quite tough and as I became more stressed the rituals crept back in and I struggled quite a bit for a while, in a way it was harder than at home at times as at least at home my family knew and understood whereas at uni I was constantly trying to behave normally...

if you do go to uni make sure to contact your disability service early, they can help with giving you support (it might be you could miss any lectures with icebreakers? I'd imagine the 'say 3 facts about yourself' type stuff must be hard) and they can sort counselling if you want it, if there is anything accommodation wise or to do with exam arrangements (e.g. warning invigilators not to ask you any questions) which could help they can arrange this too
Bushy1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I'm in my first year at university, i came up some distance (about 3-4 hours) and thought I'd struggle, I went too see my gp that I registered with and kept on my normal medication and I've been good so far I've got through one semester so I'm quite happy

If you need anything then inbox me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I'm a little late on this one, but I started Uni when my OCD was at its absolute worst. I have contamination OCD so having to do all my own cleaning, laundry, etc. was just horrible at first and I really struggled.

However, just before I gave it all up and quit Uni, I started talking to one of the University GPs and it changed so much. I met with her on a regular basis until I got a spot in Talking Therapies, then I had a weekly counselling appointment until I felt I could cope alone.

I know people complain about mental health services all the time and for some people it has been a bad experience, but for me, I couldn't have made it through without my GP and therapist. I recommend signing up to your University medical practice as soon as you get there, and book an appointment with a GP straight away (even if you feel fine). It will mean you have someone to go to if you are struggling with the adjustment.

Best of luck! Uni is amazing and I'm sure you're going to love it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads