Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I just recently got a rejection from of my unis and the mention the reason for rejection which was that I didn't have relevant or sufficent life/work experience however on the prospectus and on the website it was never mention that you will need relevant work/life prospectus you just need to show that your interested in the subject
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by estheexd)
    So I just recently got a rejection from of my unis and the mention the reason for rejection which was that I didn't have relevant or sufficent life/work experience however on the prospectus and on the website it was never mention that you will need relevant work/life prospectus you just need to show that your interested in the subject
    Which course/uni was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Which course/uni was this?
    Psychology with a foundation year at Goldsmiths
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Psychology with a foundation year at Goldsmiths
    Do you meet their standard entry requirements for qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Do you meet their standard entry requirements for qualifications?
    They didn't have any formal entry requirements, you just need to show your intrested in psychology

I don't think Uni's are obliged to give you an offer even if you fit their criteria perfectly. They have the final say.

Btw, Psychology at Goldsmith's has an AAB-ABB requirement doesn't it? Surely they have requirements.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether the life/work experience was an absolute criterion or whether you were just outcompeted. If it isn't an absolute requirement, then it isn't unfair that they rejected you for it, but it is unfortunate that they didn't say it would be advantageous.

Courses with a foundation year are aimed at people who never acquired the formal qualifications necessary for university. A lot of these people will be older and may have built up substantial experience doing other things that have given them transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffeecakey)
    I don't think Uni's are obliged to give you an offer even if you fit their criteria perfectly. They have the final say.

Btw, Psychology at Goldsmith's has an AAB-ABB requirement doesn't it? Surely they have requirements.
    'With a foundation year'.

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    'With a foundation year'.
    Ah my mistake. Still, foundation years can still look for students with an x amount of grades so I would've thought that they still mattered.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you had an interest in psychology you would have gained some experience of it through work or work experience.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They didn't have any formal entry requirements, you just need to show your intrested in psychology
    It sounds as though they don't think your life/work experience is demonstrating enough of an interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It sounds as though they don't think your life/work experience is demonstrating enough of an interest.
    This is a good point. 'Demonstrating an interest' means more than saying you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    My interpretation of that is that in your personal statement you didn't explain enough of what you do outside of school?

By all means correct me if I'm wrong but it's one thing to have the grades and have an interest, I'm applying to do psychology but in my personal statement I did 40% about why I love psychology and 60% about what I do outside of school and extra curricular. Perhaps you didn't put enough in about extra stuff?

That's my interpretation anyway.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.