Computer Science Personal Statement help Watch

u.fazal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi,

i'm currently in the process of writing my personal statement and i'm missing one key paragraph. I need to talk about how my current subjects(Biology,Chemistry,Geogr aphy,General Studies) link in with Computer Science and how the skills i've learnt will help me.

I'm just finding it difficult to do this and was wondering if anyojne could help me out with some ideas.

Thanks
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need to talk about your A levels in your personal statement unless you've done something specific through which you've developed your interest in the subject. Plenty of other applicants will have done similar subjects so they're not unique to you. Admissions officers can see what you've studied elsewhere on your application and know what those subjects are about. Please do not try to make unrealistic links between your current subjects and computer science.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you already linked your extracurricular activities into computer science? If not, remember to do so. As for your A-Level subjects, they do seem a little incongruent with computer science which has a large technology and mathematics basis, where studying physics and/or mathematics would have helped you a great deal. Even literary subjects such as English Language and Philosophy can be linked to the more philosophical side of computer science with ease.

I would suggest that you link your understanding of the world in terms of biology, chemistry and geography with your interest in computing (highlighted by extracurricular activities) and develop the idea that you are interested in a subject that applies computational fields of science e.g. bioinformatics, genetics, seismology, weather forecasting etc. If you have other destinations in mind, I think it will be exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) to link computer science to your current studies.

EDIT: As alleycat said, you do not necessarily have to mention your A-Levels if they are not particularly relevant to what you want to go on to do. If you are not interested in computational applications of the sciences that you have studied, leave them out of the statement.
u.fazal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks! Helped a lot .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.34%
No - but I will (71)
8.06%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (418)
47.45%

Watched Threads