Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey 2day i did the P2 June 2003 edexcel paper for a mock exam and i no ive done so bad on it. I did a mock p1 few months ago n i got an E, and im sure ive got an E on this 1 too. But things is i do further maths, and i get all As on the practise papers i do at home and in class.

Does any1 have ne advice or are in the same situation?

Im really upset coz i work so hard at maths. but in exams i go blank!

ReputationRep:
    Many people say you dont need to study for maths asn yes i agree it involves practising which is very different to studying, the work is the most important aspect of the course if you do the work youll get a clear view of the chapter and you may find the questions repetative a lot but its for the best so that you get more practise!

Once youve finished all your work and preparing for the exams you have to go throughtout chapters and practise some questions in those chapters not just studying what the formulae is in the chapter!

So yes well done if youve done good for the work, but remember its all practise, mathematics needs its time to be dedicated too!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly, on the assumption what you say is true you have the required ability. Your problem lies with how you approach and regard exams.

All I'd suggest, is do all your practice papers in exam conditions (i.e. timed, without notes and textbooks to hand) and get into the mindset of identifying exactly what the question is asking of you, and how best to answer.

If it's nerves that are your hindrance, learn some stress reducing techniques, such as deep breaths, or whatever might suit you.

ReputationRep:
    Practice practice practice! Get some past exam papers (probably couldn't from Edexcel so pinch some from the other boards) and do some leisurely tests. Then move on to timed ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)
    Hey 2day i did the P2 June 2003 edexcel paper for a mock exam and i no ive done so bad on it. I did a mock p1 few months ago n i got an E, and im sure ive got an E on this 1 too. But things is i do further maths, and i get all As on the practise papers i do at home and in class.

I did exactly this. If you need a good Maths grade to get to Uni, then you can take the following gamble.

You can resit any module you haven't cashed in for AS again. In the final exam session of 2003 I sat P2, P3, M1, M2, S1 and I got a B

Basically, I traded my Further Maths AS level in for more chances to do the exams. It was a huge risk - I could have come away with nothing.

Personally, I'd try talking it over with teachers, but if you want more info on the resit conditions etc send me a PM, and I'll try and find the government document regarding this.

Colin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I did exactly this. If you need a good Maths grade to get to Uni, then you can take the following gamble.

You can resit any module you haven't cashed in for AS again. In the final exam session of 2003 I sat P2, P3, M1, M2, S1 and I got a B

Basically, I traded my Further Maths AS level in for more chances to do the exams. It was a huge risk - I could have come away with nothing.

Personally, I'd try talking it over with teachers, but if you want more info on the resit conditions etc send me a PM, and I'll try and find the government document regarding this.

Colin

someone in my maths class is doing P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,S2,S3,S4,M2 this summer - thats gotta hurt....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    someone in my maths class is doing P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,S2,S3,S4,M2 this summer - thats gotta hurt....
    There is stupidity, like what I did. That however, is insane!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, that's one and a half A-Levels! Though to be fair, the first two pure modules don't amount to much (especially if he's doing that much more pure maths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Ouch, that's one and a half A-Levels! Though to be fair, the first two pure modules don't amount to much (especially if he's doing that much more pure maths).
    yeah exactly, part of me thinks that it would be ideal coz by the time you've done P5...you'll be able to do P1/2 with your eyes closed! Maybe it'd be better if you sat the whole caboodle in one go. I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    yeah exactly, part of me thinks that it would be ideal coz by the time you've done P5...you'll be able to do P1/2 with your eyes closed! Maybe it'd be better if you sat the whole caboodle in one go. I don't know!
    I'd rather annoy a homicidal maniac, armed with a rusty carving knife which has been smeared with lemon juice than sit all those exams. My engineering maths ones are bad enough!

ReputationRep:
    I don't give much thought to P2 and P3, knowing I can ace P2 and get more than enough marks in P3 for an A. But P6 is a different story, I spend a lot of my spare moments on it. I'm neglecting S2, my M1 resit, not to mention my other subjects :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I don't give much thought to P2 and P3, knowing I can ace P2 and get more than enough marks in P3 for an A. But P6 is a different story, I spend a lot of my spare moments on it. I'm neglecting S2, my M1 resit, not to mention my other subjects :confused:
    aww is it *that* bad?? Would you think it better to do it in one term or two? (I can either take it next Jan or june) You needn't worry about S2 - you just need to remember a bunch of tricks! M1 on the other hand - I hate applied so I'm not one to comment!! good luck

ReputationRep:
    aww is it *that* bad?? Would you think it better to do it in one term or two? (I can either take it next Jan or june) You needn't worry about S2 - you just need to remember a bunch of tricks! M1 on the other hand - I hate applied so I'm not one to comment!! good luck
    If you mean P6, do it in January, then giving yourself a chance of a resit if necessary. It's fine if you're a pure maths wizard so I suspect you'll do well. At least I have the coursework for S2 out of the way, hopefully I can use study leave to learn/revise it (and the S2 exam is the same day as P3!). Already have a high B in M1 but I want that A in AS further maths. Even if I get B and C in my other A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)

u know, i always make a mess of those past papers deliberately, coz my proformance's always followed the pattern of the sine curves...hopefully it works in the same way 4 every1.

last summer, however, i did my pastpapers so well that i made many silly mistakes in my P1 paper....those mistakes were unforgivable....so i worked hard and was really careful in the exams.... and i got full mark for P2 and S1....not bad, isnt it?

so...cheer up & good luck

ReputationRep:
    ok....... so what we've concluded from this is that you just need to PRACTISE!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 5, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.