French personal statement ahhhh!!!!! Watch

EddiewonEddie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have to write it by Monday. I have no idea what to include as I have not been a exchange student In France or lived in France for 3 years when I was 6 .I'm just a student who enjoys French and wants to Continue it in uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
Not even Monday but Friday. Can anybody help me, does anybody do a language At uni ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need to talk about your interest in the subject and why you want to study it, what do you like about France and the culture, what have you read in the language and why did you enjoy it.
Placeboo123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Damn you're a bit late if you're applying for a 2015 course
You sure you wanna do a language in university? spend 3 years of your life to learn a language when you could just go to France for a few months, live with natives and learn it much quicker?
Anyways good luck google "french personal statements" that should help, see what sort of things others put and apply it to yourself
Jaeolin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Eddie,
I'm not sure if this is still useful to you but if you have to write a typical french personnal statement, maybe it would be good to know that we usually do something called "plan de dissertation" here in france. Whether it's a personnal statement, a speech or a commentary, we have 3 to 4 (but three is like perfection to our teachers) main ideas which we develop into sub parts (3 is also better) and this whole "plan de dissertation" comes whith and intro and a conclusion. It's usually great to connect the use of the language with what you're doing/want to do later, to really show them there's a benefit for you when studying this language in particular.
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
Thank you and yes it is atm useful because I found out I have more time
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Placeboo123)
Damn you're a bit late if you're applying for a 2015 course
You sure you wanna do a language in university? spend 3 years of your life to learn a language when you could just go to France for a few months, live with natives and learn it much quicker?
Anyways good luck google "french personal statements" that should help, see what sort of things others put and apply it to yourself
I know I left it late as others already have offers in my sixth form but I found it difficult . And as for your point about going to France for a few months, I'm 17 what would I do over there honestly. I'm so lost any way thanks for replying
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is a little late to just start writing your personal statement now but with hard work you should be able to get it done:

Intro - one or two lines on why you want to study French. What about it appeals to you? The culture?

Second para - books you have read, how did they confirm the fact you want to study French?

Third para - how do your other A level subjects link into your understanding of French, what skills have they provided?

Fourth para - your extra curricular, volunteering, positions of responsibility, etc

Final lines - summarise what you have said and how you can contribute to university life!
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
I have actually started I have practically finished but it's just not good . I have one that I could potentially send but it's bad so I was asking for advise . Thankyou for your structure I Will apply it to what I have already done
Placeboo123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EddiewonEddie)
I know I left it late as others already have offers in my sixth form but I found it difficult . And as for your point about going to France for a few months, I'm 17 what would I do over there honestly. I'm so lost any way thanks for replying
I feel you mate, in year 12 they never make you realise what's going on.
When you go into year 13 everything is a rush you have to make your decisions so quickly.. really stupid..
Placeboo123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have actually started I have practically finished but it's just not good . I have one that I could potentially send but it's bad so I was asking for advise . Thankyou for your structure I Will apply it to what I have already done
Let's have a read?
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look at the sorts of things that you'll cover in the courses you want to do - like culture, language, history and literature and talk about why they are interesting
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let's have a read?
I wouldn't recommend publishing your statement on TSR, or sending it to somebody you don't know while you are still in the application process.

EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olympiad)
I wouldn't recommend publishing your statement on TSR, or sending it to somebody you don't know while you are still in the application process.
I know I wasn't going too. How embarrassing :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Placeboo123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know I wasn't going too. How embarrassing :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sure you want to do French then?
What other a levels do you do?
Kaylaleigh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry but as a student of French myself your comment is unhelpful. A french degree consists of more than just language learning; it's as academic as any other degree and focuses on culture, aspects of language, translation, subtitling/dubbing, and 100 other things depending on module choices. This year so far I've done translation work experience and a study into the differences between French and English language use online. We even have a French native on our course, so evidently it is not just a degree to become fluent in French, although your year abroad does help with that.
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
Thank you I know what you mean it's really useful to actually have advice from a French student
EddiewonEddie
Rep:
?
I am sure I want to do French I have done my research I know this is what I want . I just found the personal statement difficult. But to answer the question I also study drama and psychology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.81%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (605)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed