who's doing the game art design course at dmu 2015 Watch

kelly_461
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey I'm kelly and I'm started this forum for those thinking of applying to the DMU game art design course like myself.

tips
advise
and to generally get to know a few people who may be on the course in 2015
coffeecakey
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing animation but the portfolio/application process is similar to game art design (heck, might even bump into each other in some classes perhaps? )

Have you applied yet?
kelly_461
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
not yet just doing all the ucas stuff but hope to have it done soon, have you applied?
coffeecakey
Report 4 years ago
Yep, in fact just got the offer today I was super excited, unexpected. Good luck with yours!!
AVGA17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello!. Im thinking of applying to this course too!. Im really interested in game design and I want to become a concept artist eventually. I was wondering though if this course can take me to this direction. Do they teach photoshop, painter, maya, etc? Also, do gthey train you in traditional art as well? But also, how is De Montfort generally like? Is it a good place to spend three years of your life in?

Lastly, since the rest of the courses Im applying to through UCAS are for Illustration, do you think my personal statement can still work for this course? It's quite focused but I do explicitly mention how gaming is a great interest of mine and how my involvement in art sprouted through it.

Thanks guys
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys, I'm a current 1st year on the course & would be happy to answer any questions you have

So far in the first year we've been doing life drawing, learning how to draw from perspective, doing a bit of photography and digital painting. We do a lot of 3d modelling with 3DSMax and there are a few lessons on Photoshop, but you also learn from your peers and the upper years. Every week we do all of the subjects including a weekly blog post on reflection/progression for Critical Studies (this part is really beneficial even though it's writing. It helps a lot with figuring out where you are work wise, how to improve etc).

There's also a guru/grasshopper system where you'll be assigned to a number of 3rd years that will help you learn anything you need to know & they set fun weekly side projects for you. I've become really good friends with mine and have learnt a ton from them. The course is challanging, but really beneficial if you want to be a part of the industry.

If you want to be a concept artist then you have to work really really hard in your own time no matter what course you choose to be on. Usually concept artists climb through the ranks in the industry, so I'd advise learning all the essentials for a game artist before going straight for concept artist

For interviews they love traditional work (AVOID anime style). If you've done 3D modelling before then chuck some of that in your portfolio as well. What they really want to see is work done using a range of different materials(pencil ranges, pen, ink, paint). Draw from life, try to do a number of drawings a day from now up to the day of your interview and let them see that you are determined. It'll improve your skills a lot. Study people and landscapes, try to focus on tone and form & a bit of colour to make your sketch book a little more interesting.

Try to learn about the art masters if you haven't already. I don't know many but here's a few from the top of my head;
Herbert Draper
JW Waterhouse
William Adolphe Bouguereau
Caravaggio

They did ask me what artists I liked during my interview.

It's good to know artists in the industry too;
Feng Zhu
James Paick
David Levy
Noah Bradley
Marek Okon
Maciej Kuciara
Alex Negrea
Arnaud Pheu
Michal Kus
Espen Olsen Sætervik
Level Up! (Wojtek Fus, Jonas De Ro, Darek Zabrocki)

As for Leicester I really love it here, and all the people on the course are amazing & the tutors are understanding and supportive. Everyone pushes you to succeed. There's some good chinese takeaways and a good shopping center. The canal & the swans complete it as a location :P

Anyways if you have any questions just drop me a message or reply to this one.
SeanGormanUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also a first year student here at DMU studying Games Art Design. Please don't be afraid to ask either me or Lily any questions you might have regarding the course; our opinion; our education; university issues. Anything!

The Games Art design course here at DMU is one of the best of it's kind in Europe and undoubtedly in the country, you can tell, from where our graduates are at the moment, to the tutors expectations, the working level, etc, all to tell you that this course is one of a kind.
AVGA17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a skype interview coming up this thursday! I'm very nervous but also very excited!! What things should I know? Any advice? do's and dont's?
SeanGormanUK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AVGA17)
I have a skype interview coming up this thursday! I'm very nervous but also very excited!! What things should I know? Any advice? do's and dont's?
Well, other than what has been said before, I would generally suggest: be yourself.

Please forgive the cliche haha, but if you're thinking on your future as an artist/designer, you should question yourself: why did you submit your application to DMU? where do you want to be in 8 years? what level are you at now? what are your past experiences as a designer? what do you want from the course?

why's and how's and what's...

All the answers to these questions create an image of yourself. Now in an interview, because you are a creative person, you have to convey all these things to the tutors, not only talking to them, but also through your work.
You're an artist!
When you start to answer these questions, the tutor will love it, they can see you're enthusiastic about the course and enthusiastic about improving. If you're not quite as confident as you would like, don't worry, if you can't contain you're excitement to see the people you'll be working with for the next three years of your life, don't worry, happy enough to have an interview at one of the best courses in the UK? You should be happy haha.
Just keep a level head and sell yourself and your work to the interviewer. Remember, they chose you for the interview among thousands, you're half way there, so this should be easy right?
That's why I say 'be yourself'. I couldn't really think of a worse slogan, so there ya go haha
Also:
- Think of questions for the tutors: questions mean curiosity, which means interest. If you don't ask questions, then it seems like your not interested. If your not interested, then your not a strong applicant. Simple. Write them down beforehand in case you forget, because you will get nervous (we all do).
- Portfolio: your teachers should explain that your portfolio should start, and end with your best two pieces of work. All the rest in the middle is padding. You will be judged on your weakest piece of art.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck, if you have any other questions, please message or better yet email me, Lily, or any of the other students here at DMUGA (De Montfort University Games Art), they'll be happy to help out. Lily would you agree?
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Woops I'm a bit late to this!
But you gave sound advice, Sean

I guess the interview has been already, so I hope it went well ^^
deboo1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! I just received an unconditional offer, I'm heavily considering accepting it. I went to the interview last Wednesday (If Callum, Anne-marie or Ben are hanging out around here - hey! It's Emma), and I'm just trying to decide if it's the route I want to take. I'm a bit older than everyone else at 22 and a little worried I might not fit in in that sense, although if I love the course I'm sure this wouldn't bother me too much.
Any advice from current students as to how good/enjoyable this course is?
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by deboo1)
Hey! I just received an unconditional offer, I'm heavily considering accepting it. I went to the interview last Wednesday (If Callum, Anne-marie or Ben are hanging out around here - hey! It's Emma), and I'm just trying to decide if it's the route I want to take. I'm a bit older than everyone else at 22 and a little worried I might not fit in in that sense, although if I love the course I'm sure this wouldn't bother me too much.
Any advice from current students as to how good/enjoyable this course is?
Congratz!
& don't worry about the age gap, there are many people in my year group who are a bit older or a bit younger than everyone else, it doesn't really make a difference to us
If you want to get into the industry, then this is the best course to use as a stepping stone. Also the students and staff are great, inspirational even.
I'm having a great experience here, though it gets tough at times, it is to be expected of a university course :P

Also the projects are a lot of fun, they've recently rewritten the course, so there's a bunch of cool stuff you'll be doing if you start here in September.
What are your other options? ^^

+ if you want a more in depth conversation drop me a message on facebook, I could even show you some of the work I've done in my first year

https://www.facebook.com/LilyYuriDunn
deboo1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks a lot! I'll give you an add if you're sure you don't mind, it'll come up as Emma.
I'm actually at Uni at the moment, but I really don't enjoy my course and have always regretted not taking Game Art. I've made some weird decisions haha I started Graphic Design at Nottingham last year and then switched to History and Politics (which I'm seriously not enjoying!). My main choices are to do Game Art at De Montfort or to go into 2nd year Graphic Design at the Uni I'm at now, both have pro's and con's (I've made a lot of friends here, and I would have to spend all my savings on first year at Game Art if I choose it), but I would definitely enjoy the Game Art course more. I guess I'm overthinking it quite a lot right now because I feel like it's such a big decision!
Thanks for all the advice anyway, I might hit you up with a message on fb at some point!
k_lex
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh nice, great time to find this thread! I also received an offer and am changing courses (from Biology to Game Art). Good to know I'm not the only one here who would be a bit older on this course!

I've got to admit I'm pretty lost with everything, I've never lived in the UK before (moving there from Austria), and housing especially is very confusing as of now. Not going to lie, it's all a bit scary!

Does the Game Art course have a facebook group or similair to get in touch with others applying? It would be nice to chat with a few people and maybe find someone to live with on the same course.
The interview I had with Chris was great, so I'm definitely considering accepting the offer!
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratz on the offer!

Me and a 2nd year have made a facebook group for you guys,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gameartdesign2015/

Just hit request to join
I'll pass on the adminship to anyone who'd like the responsibility, but I don't mind starting it up for you guys ^^

Each year has their own Facebook group already.
k_lex
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks a lot Lily! (:
honor.dunham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, so glad i found this thread1 I had my interview last wednesday and really liked the place and people and yeah I got my offer through today and I am pretty set on putting it as my firm choice. Looks like im going to be the baby of the year as im only 18 haha
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
congratz! and don't worry, there'll probably be loads of people who are 18 ^^

looking forward to meeting you all (:
Alfie_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I just joined the fb group! I'm studying A Levels at the moment and I got a conditional offer a few weeks ago. But I was wondering whether the course is strict on you getting those grades? Or if they are like other arts based courses and lenient about grades? I am hoping to get them, but I may not and I'm a bit worried about that.
Lily_D
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alfie_)
Hey, I just joined the fb group! I'm studying A Levels at the moment and I got a conditional offer a few weeks ago. But I was wondering whether the course is strict on you getting those grades? Or if they are like other arts based courses and lenient about grades? I am hoping to get them, but I may not and I'm a bit worried about that.
I think what matters most is your portfolio and passion/commitmnent. I'm sure you could email the courseleader if you don't get the grades you'd hoped for I think they're lenient. Though they might recommend you to do a year of art foundation at an art college first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.81%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (605)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed