Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be staying at home when I start university in September and I'm really nervous, I will be starting with no friends there and none of my friends will be going to uni so I wont see them often.
    Will I have a really bad experience compared to the people who will be living in accommodation as I'm not going to have friends and is it hard to make friends I'm really shy?

ReputationRep:
    Even though my experience of living in was hellish (largely my own shyness/issues) - I have mentioned it in some depth elsewhere, I would seriously give it a go (living in halls.) Having tried is a damn sight better than living with the regret of knowing you never did.
    Why are you living at home? Cost of accommodation? Would the student loan cover it? Will/can your parents pay? Could you get a part time job and save some money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    Even though my experience of living in was hellish (largely my own shyness/issues) - I have mentioned it in some depth elsewhere, I would seriously give it a go (living in halls.) Having tried is a damn sight better than living with the regret of knowing you never did.
    Why are you living at home? Cost of accommodation? Would the student loan cover it? Will/can your parents pay? Could you get a part time job and save some money?
    it is partly because of money, I would be able to get a train to uni if I say at home and I will only need to give my parents some money for rent. They will not be able to help me out financially if I move away and if I do move to the halls I will only be living off a small amount of money. I have already received all my offers and the university's are only half an hour to an hour away from home.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by college-student1)
    it is partly because of money, I would be able to get a train to uni if I say at home and I will only need to give my parents some money for rent. They will not be able to help me out financially if I move away and if I do move to the halls I will only be living off a small amount of money. I have already received all my offers and the university's are only half an hour to an hour away from home.
    Check for bursaries which may be available either from the uni or elsewhere.

If I had the chance, I would not have gone to live in my halls for first year. It sucked and everyone just pretended like it was the biggest thing ever (which it wasn't). However I'd still reccommend you to call your University for financial advice if you want to have the experience because you won't know til you go.

If you do end up living up home, just expect to hear all the other students talking about how much you're missing out. But I don't believe it

ReputationRep:
    Even though as stated it went Pete Tong for me personally, you won't have to pay train fare or any rent to your parents. When you are standing on a cold platform at 7:30am, you could be in bed in Halls. Even from the point of view of your course, imagine how much nicer it would be to ask someone down the corridor for help with your homework instead of over the phone! Particularly if you're male and they're a hot girl (or boy! it is the twenty first century after all...........)

Although there are counter arguments I know, say you want an early night and your hallmates are banging about at 3:30am.......... (but you do get used to that!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by college-student1)
    I really don't recommend living at home for uni particularly more than half an hour away. You possibly will make some friends but there are no two way about it you will miss out and it's not just a half hour journey it an hour each day if not more (distance to and from the station distance to and from home) Your loosing at least an hour that could be used for studying.

I don't know how much rent your mum and dad are charging you but it actually might work out cheaper for you if you did stay in halls lets say your parents are charging you £10 a week not unreasonable and your going an hour away your looking at about £20 return a day

So if you have 3 days a week (pretty stranded First year)

Your weekly expenditure for travel alone is £60 lets put rent on top so your looking at £70 a week halls are by and large at the cheaper end of the scale about £60 a week so in this situation your worse off by £10 a week (about 4 lavish meals on a student budget)

Then of course the social side most clubs and socs start around 7 how are you going to deal with that I mean you cant exactly take your bag to club can you and are you really willing to travel home drop off your bag and then travel back go to the club for what 2 hours or so then travel another hour or 30 mins home no better to stay out.

Don't panic though you have plenty of time you can call up unis and say you changed your mind and want halls and let the slc know as well (most important) also when you get there there are always no shows.

or not it's up to you

ReputationRep:
    Living at home is fine I'm doing it right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I really don't recommend living at home for uni particularly more than half an hour away. You possibly will make some friends but there are no two way about it you will miss out and it's not just a half hour journey it an hour each day if not more (distance to and from the station distance to and from home) Your loosing at least an hour that could be used for studying.

I don't know how much rent your mum and dad are charging you but it actually might work out cheaper for you if you did stay in halls lets say your parents are charging you £10 a week not unreasonable and your going an hour away your looking at about £20 return a day

So if you have 3 days a week (pretty stranded First year)

Your weekly expenditure for travel alone is £60 lets put rent on top so your looking at £70 a week halls are by and large at the cheaper end of the scale about £60 a week so in this situation your worse off by £10 a week (about 4 lavish meals on a student budget)

Then of course the social side most clubs and socs start around 7 how are you going to deal with that I mean you cant exactly take your bag to club can you and are you really willing to travel home drop off your bag and then travel back go to the club for what 2 hours or so then travel another hour or 30 mins home no better to stay out.

Don't panic though you have plenty of time you can call up unis and say you changed your mind and want halls and let the slc know as well (most important) also when you get there there are always no shows.

or not it's up to you
    Saying that somebody will definitely miss out is a complete over generalisation; how do we know that the person would even want to participate in certain events, anyway? Instead; there may be a slight possibility of missing out.

I personally believe that there is too much emphasis on the social aspect of university- hence the 'first year is crucial' saying.

A lot of the finance you mentioned may not even apply to the individual in question. For example, I have three universities in my area of which are in range from around five to forty five minutes travel, so I probably wouldn't spend anywhere near what you suggest, and this may be the same for others. It's also much easier to negotiate living costs with parents.

Emphasis on "it's up to you", by the way. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    Saying that somebody will definitely miss out is a complete over generalisation; how do we know that the person would even want to participate in certain events, anyway? Instead; there may be a slight possibility of missing out.

I personally believe that there is too much emphasis on the social aspect of university- hence the 'first year is crucial' saying.

A lot of the finance you mentioned may not even apply to the individual in question. For example, I have three universities in my area of which are in range from around five to forty five minutes travel, so I probably wouldn't spend anywhere near what you suggest, and this may be the same for others. It's also much easier to negotiate living costs with parents.

Emphasis on "it's up to you", by the way. :yep:
    I'm not saying he will miss out completely you have misinterpreted what I said I have actually mentioned in my post he probably will make friends but living at home does limit you somewhat.

I agree with you saying "there is too much emphasis on the social aspect of university"but by the same token it is important to have some fun you can't work all the time.

My point about the finance is that is one possible situation my journey was 1 hour even on a student rail card Southampton central to Reading was £20 if I was traveling up or down for a Weekend at home If I had commuted it would could have cost me about £40 a day depending on when I travelled (off peak to on Peak) My mate was charged £10 a week when he left collage to work for a year while he waited to be accepted on to a different course. So my figures were not too far it's just a ball park figure.

al I'm trying to do is get him to cost it up and not just Assume it's going to be cheaper to live at home actually work it out you know. Also some courses run 5 days a week (I know electronics i Portsmouth does) that would push up the costs a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    Why go to all of this effort when he's got a perfectly good place to live? Massive waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Although I agree that too much emphasis is put on the social side of University, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!

I would advise anyone thinking of living at home to Uni to seriously consider living in. You may not think its for you etc but being older and having regrets you never tried it would be horrible.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.