Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Book of the Year 2014- vote to win! watch

ReputationRep:
    For everyone who loves reading, this is your chance to vote for your BOOK OF THE YEAR for 2014!!!!:king1:
    :party::party:

Post your nominations for Book of the Year in the thread below to enter that book into the poll for voting!

Nominations will close on Friday 23rd January at 10am for the poll to open!

There will be a bundle of books up for grabs for one lucky winner (including the Book of the Year!) who will be randomly selected from anyone who posts in this thread!

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by CongressTart)
    X
    (Original post by Mackay)
    X
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    X
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    X
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    X
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    X
    (Original post by SammyHam)
    X
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    X
    (Original post by slg60)
    X
    (Original post by Treeniebop)
    X
    (Original post by kitkatr)
    X
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    X
    (Original post by chrisdefish)
    X
    (Original post by Jaz_A)
    X
    (Original post by OliveTree98)
    X
    (Original post by MedicineMann)
    X
    (Original post by blackwid0w)
    X
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    X
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    X
    (Original post by Jacob Boris)
    X
    (Original post by Evening)
    X
    (Original post by BlueSkyGirl)
    X
    (Original post by Shieldsy)
    X
    (Original post by amberskye)
    X
    (Original post by RoyalBlue7)
    X
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    X
    (Original post by plaguepitlasagna)
    X
    (Original post by CrisSBaader)
    X
    (Original post by leemer)
    X
    (Original post by holocene)
    X
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    X
    (Original post by subjunctivehistorian)
    X
    (Original post by smellypoo)
    X
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    X

(Quoting in members from Battle of the Books in case you are interested!)

ReputationRep:
    I probably should widen my reading horizons although reading The Chronicles of St Mary's this year with a couple published I'd say that was the best of those very very few books that were published this year. I'll see about reading more in 2015.

ReputationRep:
    From that list I've only read We Were Liars and it was just okay, nothing amazing

Red Rising by Pierce Brown is the best I've read this year. Followed by Words of Radiance (Brandon Sanderson) and The Emperor's Blades (Brian Staveley).

ReputationRep:
    Out of ones I've read this year... The End of Your Life Book Club, Fangirl and To All The Boys I've Loved Before. I agree with above post that We Were Liars wasn't great.

ReputationRep:
    I loved One Night in Italy by Lucy Diamond.

ReputationRep:
    My book of the year is a cooked seed will have you weeping for the joy and tragedy of it all

ReputationRep:
    Although not published this year, Rolf Dobellis 'Art of thinking clearly' has really helped me gain a clear mind and rational approach to things such as exams...nicely split into 2/3 page sections. An amazingly easy read whilst being deep and thought provoking. Deffinitley worth it!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I nominate The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's a tough one. I read quite a few good books in 2014. I'll nominate Sycamore Row by John Grisham, though. Grisham's work had been slipping for a while (in my opinion), but he was definitely back on form for this novel.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go for We Are Liars - but I can't see the list, so I'm only going by books that others have mentioned... Little confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    read loads of books but dont know which ones came out in 2014 so cant really say

ReputationRep:
    I loved We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. My best friend is raving about The Narrow Road to the Deep North but I haven't read it yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Harry's Last Stand by Harry Leslie Smith.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (Beautiful book and it's interesting to read things from another culture's point of view :yep: )

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

So many others as well but haven't done much reading since I started uni unfortunately. If it's for books actually published in 2014 then forget about the first one lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (Beautiful book and it's interesting to read things from another culture's point of view :yep: )

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

So many others as well but haven't done much reading since I started uni unfortunately. If it's for books actually published in 2014 then forget about the first one lol
    I ADORE The Kite Runner! Had me in tears though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I ADORE The Kite Runner! Had me in tears though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never though I'd like a book I actually had to STUDY for A-levels :ninja:
    Those were the days aha, and yeah true!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming we need books published in 2014

What If? By Randall Monroe .... Fun Q&A book to dip into

As you wish: inconceivable tales from the making of The Princess Bride by Carey Elwes ... If you loved the book or the film you will adore this

ReputationRep:
    Still Alice - absolutely incredible book, really makes you think. A bit of a depressing book though, not a good one for a light-hearted read!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Such a hard one! I would have to say American Psycho by Bret Easton, Incidents in the Life of A Slave Girl by Harriet A. Jacobs! Such traffic novels of a failed society right from the 18th century to the 20th century!

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming it has to have been published this year, so I'll go A Burnable Book by Bruce Holsinger, or The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher by Hilary Mantel.
    If not, then the Harry Potter books (in the order: OotP, HBP, DH, GoF, PoA, CoS, PS) because, let's be honest, they can never be beaten.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.