The Student Room Group

Sixth-Form Attendance.

Hey guys, I'm not really sure if I have posted this in the right thread but *fingers crossed* I have. Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone (and I mean anyone) can give me some advice regarding sixth form attendance.

I am a new year 12 student and I joined my local sixth form this Sept 2014. When I joined they were very aware that I have a serious underlying health condition that made me miss time off school during my GCSE's. I do not wish to discuss the medical condition which I have, however when it does flare up it causes me to be in the most excruciating pain imaginable, thus causing me unable to attend school.
Most teachers have asked "Why don't you try high strength painkillers?" .. Well the trouble is that when I take these it completely wipes me out and I don't know my name from my age which intern means I still cannot go to school.. It is a loose loose situation really.
I have tried and tried to explain to the sixth form secretary that my health condition is serious and this is the reason as I'm off frequently.
Since September my attendance has been erratic due to my health condition progressively getting worse and worse, it has left me extremely behind in school work and it is starting to really pile up now.
I went to the doctors about a month ago (I go about 3 times a month and they never help). After numerous referalls, blood tests, scans, they still have been 100% unhelpful. Instead they keep prescribing different pills for me to try, after trying about 10 different of the same type already. When I got this pill I was very reluctant to take it because I knew the effects previous ones had on my health in the past before.
Well in a nutshell.. this weekend just passed I was rushed into hospital because I had a severe reaction to it which could have left me critically ill for the rest of my life if i had continued with the packet.. This was all after the pressure of my teachers and doctor to take it.

The sixth form have been calling my mum saying that my attendance is getting worryingly bad despite them knowing what is wrong with me. My attendance is now about 67% and falling.. What should I do? There is really no way that I can prevent this from happening and the school are being so insensitive about all of this situation.

Another thing is the lack of communication meant that none of my A-Level teachers knew that I had a underlying health condition, they thought i was just truant. This issue arrised on parent's evening last week and they were completely surprised to find this out.

I'm really stuck in a rut.. I can't help being ill. I may face being kicked out soon.. but can they really kick me out due to genuine illness? I hope someone can help and give some good advice..
Thankyou very much for taking the time to read and help me.:smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

Do you want to PM me?

I have had a lot of complications with school, work, health and attendance.

It's always difficult in a situation like that with long-term underlying health problems and it can be very confusing and stressful. I also totally understand how difficult it can be when doctors aren't sure of what's going on or haven't come up with a proper treatment plan because then it can be harder to communicate with the school.

My suggestion would be mentioning these worries about communication with either your parents or your doctor. You doctors may be able to give you a letter that you can show to anyone in school who you feel needs to know about your health condition, therefore they may gain a deeper understanding of what's going on. I'm sure they'd love to try and help but from the sound of things, they're just not being made aware of enough to be able to help you. You could also get your parents to go in and have a meeting with the school to explain to them.

Try and be pro-active about things. I know it can be hard talking about personal health problems with teachers, but the more open you are with them, the easier it may be. If you have meetings with your teachers to explain it and to voice your concerns about the amount of work you have and how behind you are then they're much more likely to be able to help you. If you work together with them then I'm sure they'll be more flexible and help you sort out all of the work you have to do.
They shouldn't be able to kick you out, especially if you have a letter from the doctor explaining your condition.

But remember, the most important thing is your health. Obviously you don't want to have to leave school because of it, but if you get too stressed out and that makes you more ill, then leaving may be the only option. So just try to put a little less pressure on yourself. You're right, you can't help being ill. It is not your fault and you're not responsible for it. The best thing you can do is focus on yourself and look after yourself as best you can. It's the easiest way that you'll be able to catch up and carry on because the more stressed you let yourself become, the harder it'll be to get better. Obviously I don't know what your health condition is, but stress is proven to make you ill.

I can imagine it's scary for you at the moment, especially with having to go into hospital and trying to sort all of this out. So just try to look after yourself.

I hope you're feeling better soon and good luck with sorting this out and explaining it to the school.
I'm always here if you need a chat - I've been in your situation so I know how you feel. xxxx
Reply 2
losers:angry:******
Reply 3
Original post by izzi23
Hi there,

Do you want to PM me?

I have had a lot of complications with school, work, health and attendance.

It's always difficult in a situation like that with long-term underlying health problems and it can be very confusing and stressful. I also totally understand how difficult it can be when doctors aren't sure of what's going on or haven't come up with a proper treatment plan because then it can be harder to communicate with the school.

My suggestion would be mentioning these worries about communication with either your parents or your doctor. You doctors may be able to give you a letter that you can show to anyone in school who you feel needs to know about your health condition, therefore they may gain a deeper understanding of what's going on. I'm sure they'd love to try and help but from the sound of things, they're just not being made aware of enough to be able to help you. You could also get your parents to go in and have a meeting with the school to explain to them.

Try and be pro-active about things. I know it can be hard talking about personal health problems with teachers, but the more open you are with them, the easier it may be. If you have meetings with your teachers to explain it and to voice your concerns about the amount of work you have and how behind you are then they're much more likely to be able to help you. If you work together with them then I'm sure they'll be more flexible and help you sort out all of the work you have to do.
They shouldn't be able to kick you out, especially if you have a letter from the doctor explaining your condition.

But remember, the most important thing is your health. Obviously you don't want to have to leave school because of it, but if you get too stressed out and that makes you more ill, then leaving may be the only option. So just try to put a little less pressure on yourself. You're right, you can't help being ill. It is not your fault and you're not responsible for it. The best thing you can do is focus on yourself and look after yourself as best you can. It's the easiest way that you'll be able to catch up and carry on because the more stressed you let yourself become, the harder it'll be to get better. Obviously I don't know what your health condition is, but stress is proven to make you ill.

I can imagine it's scary for you at the moment, especially with having to go into hospital and trying to sort all of this out. So just try to look after yourself.

I hope you're feeling better soon and good luck with sorting this out and explaining it to the school.
I'm always here if you need a chat - I've been in your situation so I know how you feel. xxxx

Hey, thankyou for your kind words, finally someone understands what I have been going through! A little update.. I went to my doctors and was able to get a letter, however, it is quite vague and doesn't really explain much. I guess this is due to doctor-patient confidentiality? Anyway.. when I went to the head of my sixth form he was like "oh it doesn't matter anyway.. you're down as medically unwell"
All this stress for nothing.. I guess the sixthform has a serious issue with communication leaving the secretary unaware of all of this..
But yeah it would be great if you could PM me and we maybe could continue this conversation by PM? :smile: Many thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest